This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

It seems as though the year-long halt caused by the global pandemic has prompted U.S consumers to go above and beyond for Halloween this year. According to Business Insider, “sales of candy, costumes, and decor are soaring across the U.S, with consumer spending expected to reach an all-time high of $10.14 billion.”

In 2020, Business Insider predicted a surge in Halloween sales due to the holiday falling on a Saturday. However, with the ongoing pandemic, Party City opened only 25 pop-ups. This is a significant decrease from the 275 that opened in 2019. In addition, small businesses were even speculative about the future of their business after a poor early-sale turnout, according to a Washington Post article published at the start of Oct. 2020. 

On the other hand, this year though Halloween seems to be a go, even according to America’s top infectious disease expert, Dr. Anthony Fauci.

“After more than 18 months under the dark cloud of the coronavirus pandemic, the Halloween celebrations should be able to go ahead safely,” he said. “That’s a refreshing change from last year’s celebrations that were largely canceled due to high cases of COVID-19 and no vaccine yet available,” Fauci said in an NPR article. 

Although this year seems a lot more optimistic for Halloween-lovers, the increased demand, which continues to affect numerous industries, could lead to shortages. 

“The fact that costume and decor sales are up 20 to 25%, coupled with pandemic-related supply issues, have resulted in empty shelves all across the country,” says Gregor Lawson, chairman of the HCA and founder of spandex bodysuit-maker Morphsuits. Lawson added that Halloween could even be a complete sell-out, according to Business Insider.

So, I hope you purchased some Halloween costumes with your friends and were safe for the return of Halloween 2021.

Emily Toro

Wake Forest '24

I'm Emily Toro from Manalapan, NJ. I'm currently studying to be a communication major.