Swipe Left to Date: Top 7 Dating Sites & Apps for Collegiettes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

It’s safe to say that the digital age has affected the world of dating for generations to come.

We are all proud member of Generation Y. Part of gaining membership into the Gen Y club is being born between the years of 1980 and 2000, proficiency in a slew of acronyms, and not knowing how to carry on a face to face conversation. This is nothing to ashamed of but it’s true.

*Photo from pha-media.com.

Our generation has learned to hide behind a shield of computers and smart phones. Today, the digital world caters to our every whim, including our dating needs.

Most of us are looking for a partner to settle down with, or at least keep us warm at night, and guess what! There’s an app for that.

In fact, there are dozens of apps and websites for finding your perfect mate. Whether you are religious, shy, or simply picky, there is an app for you. No one is left out of the mix.

Here is a list of the top seven most innovative and popular sites/apps amongst collegiettes today:

1. Tinder– Too busy to create and check a dating profile online? Tinder is an online dating app which lets you easily flip through possible partners in your geographic area. Swipe right if you like a person’s profile and left if you don’t. It is that easy. The app is popular in big cities amongst 20-something singles.

*Photo from trendytron.com.

2. Coffee Meets Bagel– You are the coffee and the boy is the bagel. Users receive one specially picked bagel each day (through mutual friends), and one can either choose to like or pass their bagel. CMB learns what you like over time. The app is private and boasts a safer dating experience.

3. Hinge– According to Wired.com, Hinge is the opposite of Tinder – “Hinge has a unique premise: it only connects users who have mutual friends on Facebook.” This means no randos. App users are only offered friends of friends.

4. JSwipe– The app is much like Tinder but for Jewish singles. Unlike other apps, JSwipe takes out the guessing and provides a potential date’s religious details on their profile.

*Photo from mobile-apps-reviews.com.

5. Grouper- The site allows you to go on group dates with anonymous friends of friends. Once you are matched with a friend of a friend you are sent on a “Grouper,” or group date. This is great for shyer people and those concerned with their safety. The site also takes the edge off of blind dates in general.

6. The League- According to TIME magazine, this is Tinder but for “elitists.” A quote in TIME shares the following, “The League is all about selectivity. Singles apply to join, and then wait for approval by administrators… The League also goes to LinkedIn to curate its community — largely made up of lawyers, doctors and tech execs.”

7. Christian Mingle- The dating site which helps people meet other local Christian singles. Online reviews rave that there are a large amount of singles on the site, almost too many.

You no longer have an excuse. Get to dating!

Lauren Friezo

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for News and Content Uploader. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Entrepreneurship and Social Enterprise and Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies. Expected graduation in May 2015.