A Southern Girl’s Guide to Dressing for Winter Weather

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Hey chicas! So I know it’s been quite a warm winter at Wake, but don’t be deceived. It’s February, and spring is still a few months away. You don’t want to catch a cold or bust out all your summer clothes just yet! Keep them packed away for spring break, and make the most out of your winter wardrobe while you still can. Here are some of my favorite winter trends, and I promise they will keep you warm and fashionable!

The past few weeks have been uber-warm, so don’t be afraid to dress for the sunny days! Try wearing a cute, light vest and pairing it with a skirt and tights. This is a perfect outfit for those days when the weather can’t seem to make up its mind. Wear your outfit without sleeves when the sun is out, then get cool-weather-ready by slipping a sweater under the vest.

When people think about winter they often think about getting bundled up in hats, scarves, and gloves. Here at Wake, you can do this look by transforming it to be much more stylish and weather-appropriate. Wearing a light hat will keep you warm and keep the sun out of your face on those warmer winter days. Not to mention, hats are super in this year! You should also try to wear vests instead of the normal scarf look. Vests will keep you warm and are a fun way of making a statement without looking like you have something to hide on your neck from last night.
[pagebreak]

Unfortunately, we haven’t gotten any snow at Wake this year, but we have gotten a lot of rain. So for those rainier days, don’t fall victim to putting on sweats or yoga pants. Try to brighten your day with a trendy outfit! Also, try to switch up your normal rainy day outfit by wearing duck boots instead of rain boots. They are adorable and won’t make that awkward click that boots often make. And don’t forget an umbrella to top off your look! It’ll ensure that both you and your hair stay fabulous all day long.

We are also quickly approaching Valentine’s Day, so don’t be afraid to wear some pops of color around this time of the year. Wear bright colors like pink or green instead of the usual winter black and grey. These colors are also great transitional pieces that you can wear now and into the spring!

Just make sure you always remember to make your outfit your own! Get creative, and don’t be afraid to take risks this winter. We only have a few months left to wear jeans and jackets, so make the most of it!

*Photography by Iris Wigodsky

Jackie Swoyer is a rising senior at Wake Forest University majoring in Business and Enterprise Management, concentrating in Marketing and minoring in Economics. While her collegiate years have been spent in the Carolinas, this aspiring marketer currently calls Cincinnati, Ohio home...although she has spent years moving all over the country and beyond (including a five year period in Europe!). She is currently prepping for a summer internship in the Frito Lay Marketing Division in Plano, Texas, a new stop on her geographical repertoire. An avid reader of all things Her Campus, Jackie also loves to write, listen to Pandora, practice her cooking skills, and find live music anywhere she can.