Say Hello to the Women’s Center!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Collegiettes, there is something to be said about the significance of being involved in progressive action. We are, of course, deep intellects and expected to not only to lead the world but also to think “outside of the box.” We are the forceful and analytical Demon Deacons (hence, the Wake Will campaign!) I am, therefore, proud to announce that as of January 2013, Wake Forest University has administered the establishment of a Women’s Center, proving that progressive thought happens here every day.

The Women’s Center was led by Dr. Paige Meltzer, but now welcomes a new director, Rob Powell. The Women’s Center is located in Reynolda 101A/B (look for the giant standing banner!).

The sole purpose of the Center is to provide a place of comfort for all genders, where critical thinking and conversation about the role gender constructs is fostered and encouraged. The Women’s Center is a place where creative and deep thought is executed around a diverse range of topics, but more specifically around how one’s gender can be a domineering aspect within the bubble of Wake Forest University and the outside world as well.

There are various events hosted by the Women’s Center, but its most prominent event thus far has been $tart $mart “How-to” Salary Negotiation. This event is meant to provide students approaching the job market with the “knowledge, skills, and confidence to negotiate salaries and benefits for fair and realistic compensation.” Every Demon Deacon should learn how to achieve and maintain the pay we deserve as Wake Forest graduates at the next $tart $mart Workshop, which will be held on Friday, January 31, 2014.

We cannot deny that being a woman at Wake Forest University has its occasional challenges. The Women’s Center is growing fearlessly and is prepared to lead ALL of us to our greatest potential. Nevertheless, there is always some aspect of campus and society that we can work to improve…so search for the Women’s Center and get involved with something contemporary, informative, and inspiring! 

Hey "y-all"..just joking I am from Brooklyn, New York. I am your Brooklyn raised loud voiced,spunky kinda girl. I have a New York accent and sassy attitude. However, I have learned to love the crisp air of North Carolina and the different pace of life. I am excited to have my voice heard and to listen to yours too!  
Cassie Brown

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for Campus Cutie. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Journalism and Communication. Expected graduation in May 2014.