Savvy Saving: Beating the Beach Weekend Budget Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Every Wake collegiette knows that beach weekend can get pretty expensive.  Whether it’s the cooler, the food, or the alcohol, catering to your date’s every need can definitely add up.  Here’s a few tips to get you through the weekend, without breaking the bank of course.

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Hey eco-friendly chicas, the three R’s of recycling can apply to beach weekend, too!

Reduce the size of your cooler. After the first time, you should have realized that the cooler doesn’t need to be that big. Fit what you can in the cooler and carry the extra in plastic bags. The cold stuff just has to make it to the beach house. That’s what refrigerators are for, ladies.

Reuse those paints you bought for mountain weekend. Paint is expensive, so consider chipping in with friends to buy larger bottles. 

Recycle ideas for designs from friends. Check out ‘The Cooler Connection’ on Facebook, or Three to Four Ounces’ ‘Coolest Cooler Contest’ winners for inspiration.
 [pagebreak]
Consider Alternatives

Is your date an upperclassman? Why waste your time and money on a cooler, just to watch it end up filled with punch in the basement of a fraternity house? Rather than giving him his fourth cooler, consider an alternative gift. Put your paint-penning skills to use and make him a chug-a-lug!  Another popular present is buying your date a monogrammed flask. Classy, convenient, and cheap.

Embrace Family Dinners

Go grocery shopping with the other dates in your house…you’ll buy less food, and be encouraged to make ‘family dinner’ a la Jersey Shore! Split the cost of meals rather than everyone buying four bags of Bagel Bites. Your date (and your wallet!) will thank you later.

Thanks Mom and Dad

A wise Wake Forest collegiette knows to use up all of her Pit swipes and Deacon Dollars by the end of the semester. With only four weeks left, take advantage of your meal plan by grabbing extra fruit to bring with you! And don’t let those Deacon Dollars go to waste: buy your chasers, chips, and salsa at the Sundry.
 [pagebreak]
Remember the Price of Beauty

Many beach weekends include fraternity formals, and girls often forget that they will need a semi-formal dress for the occasion.  If you don’t already own that perfect dress, consider borrowing from a friend to save money. Want an even bigger selection? Try ‘Borrow Me Pretty’, a borrower’s boutique run by WFU’s own Caroline Hales.  You can rent dresses and accessories from other girls on campus for cheap prices. For an even larger selection, Rent the Runway offers tons of super cute designer dresses, at a significant discount. You’ll never be seen wearing the same dress twice again!

With these tips, you’ll be sure to save a few bucks prepping for the big weekend. Don’t forget your sunscreen, and enjoy the beach, collegiettes!

*Photography by Karleigh Ash

Jackie Swoyer is a rising senior at Wake Forest University majoring in Business and Enterprise Management, concentrating in Marketing and minoring in Economics. While her collegiate years have been spent in the Carolinas, this aspiring marketer currently calls Cincinnati, Ohio home...although she has spent years moving all over the country and beyond (including a five year period in Europe!). She is currently prepping for a summer internship in the Frito Lay Marketing Division in Plano, Texas, a new stop on her geographical repertoire. An avid reader of all things Her Campus, Jackie also loves to write, listen to Pandora, practice her cooking skills, and find live music anywhere she can.