Ranking The 1989 (Taylor’s Version) Vault Tracks

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

On October 27, Taylor Swift released the highly anticipated rerecording of her 2014 album, 1989. Swifties rejoiced as they could listen to 1989 her way: sleuthing for small sonic changes, reliving a bygone era of seagulls and red lips, and of course, unlocking the vault track. As with all of her re-recording projects, Swift unveiled a slate of never-before-heard tracks that were cut from the original album; 1989 (Taylor’s Version) features five such songs. I think it is safe to say that the vault exceeds all of our wildest dreams, so here is my definitive ranking of these five tracks.

1. “Say Don’t Go”

“Say Don’t Go” most effectively showcases Swift’s vocal prowess, with its low-pitched intro, sustained belting, and self-harmonizing on layered vocals. This melodramatic tune seamlessly fits with the theming of the original 1989 tracks, featuring motifs of desperation amid a detached love affair with the gut-wrenching lyric, “I said I love you / you say nothing back.” A series of questions comprises the chorus and bridge, creating a pleading tone that underlines a cohesive storyline, once again proving the strength of Swift’s songwriting chops. The swelling instrumentals and catchy echoes ensure that “Say Don’t Go” performed as a surprise song at The Eras Tour will be one to remember.

2. “Is It Over Now?”

Pointed accusations and confessions of betrayals are the hallmarks of “Is It Over Now?”, an exciting examination of where the breaking point of a relationship falls. Swift reveals intimate details of a past relationship that stagnated in a gray area of unresolved mutual feelings, something many listeners can identify with. This poppy tune’s ever-changing rhythm and meter creates an edge-of-your-seat unpredictability, sure to have a verse or chorus for any taste. The lyric, “When you lost control / red blood, white snow” parallels the snowmobile accident referenced in an original 1989 track, “Out of the Woods,” leading many Swifties to speculate further about Swift’s former relationship with Harry Styles and that fateful event between them.

3. “Now That We Don’t Talk”

Coming in at just over two minutes in length, one could say that this track ends Swift-ly. However, its sudden ending perfectly represents the sudden cease of contact with a former lover that the song describes. “Now That We Don’t Talk” features a toe-tapping, head-nodding infectious beat that accompanies a list of everything she can’t or doesn’t have to do in the aftermath of a breakup. The tune strikes a triumphant, yet witty chord as Swift audibly rolls her eyes describing her ex’s new long hair and tattoos, as well as celebrates no longer having to pretend to like acid rock. Its even balance between specificity and relatability cement “Now That We Don’t Talk” as an instant classic.

4. “Slut!”

Often the target of snide remarks due to her storied romantic history, Swift reclaims the insults she so frequently encounters in this smooth, mid-tempo bop. Instead of reacting with self-effacement, Swift is unabashedly in love with her new partner; the chorus tagline, “If they call me a slut / you know it might be worth it for once,” sums up her newfound carefree attitude about how the world views her love life. The complete opposite of what many were expecting when the vault track names were released, “Slut!” is a phenomenal anthem for self-empowerment. However, its more modern-sounding production creates an abrupt transition to this vault opener from the original album tracks.

5. “Suburban Legends”In “Suburban Legends”, memories of teendom are evoked in listeners with nods to tearing pages out of a diary and calculating astrological compatibility. A youthful sense of yearning permeates the upbeat instrumentals as Swift fantasizes about a long-term relationship far departed from Hollywood, opting for class reunions and a suburban landscape. The track dissolves into a blur of sparkling synthesizers reminiscent of her recent Midnights album, leaving one wondering what the original concept for the sound of “Suburban Legends” was. With that said, “I broke my own heart ‘cause / you were too polite to do it,” is my favorite lyric from the entire 1989 vault.

Jessica Barry

Wake Forest '27

Hi! I'm Jessica Barry, a freshman at Wake Forest University. I'm from Morrisville, NC and I plan to major in Politics and International Affairs. I enjoy dancing, reading a good book, sipping sweet tea, and listening to classic rock!