Perfect Partying Part 2: The “During”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Hello collegiettes™! Last week, I took you through some essential tips to insure your pre-game goes smoothly. But last I checked, getting ready with your girls is only the beginning of a successful night. Perfecting partying is more than feeling confident and having the right chasers, because once the pre-game’s over, it’s time for the main event: the “during”. But fear not, ladies. Avoiding becoming that girl at Last Resort next Thursday can be easy as 1-2-3. Follow my tips, and before you know it you’re one step closer to perfect partying.

1. Birds of a feather flock together.
Repeat after me:I will be a good wingman, I will be a good wingman. Every collegiette™ knows that friendship is more than just studying for your Greek Myth test in the ZSR together. Good friends have each other’s back when they venture forth into the party scene. But what does that mean, exactly? Being a good wingman is a practiced art based on reciprocity and situation-reading. Were you trapped at the bar chatting with Sloppy Joe all night while your BFF flirted away? Then you should expect the same help from her next time that dreamy guy from your 1:00 MWF and his 4’10 roommate approach you at the keg. Reciprocity, girls, reciprocity. Your friendships are based on mutual respect in the light of day . . . the same should be true when you’re out! Don’t try to fix friend issues drunkenly – soberly is the only way that could actually solve the problem. I can’t tell you how many times my girlfriends and I have quibbled at a party, and the lethal mixture of alcohol and loud music have turned misuderstandings into full blown fights. Sick of your roommate always leaving you for a guy? Cite specific examples and how they make you feel, and talk to her calmly and rationally when you’re both sober. It will save you the yelling and tears that I know none of us enjoy.

Now what do I mean by that situation-reading business? Basically, it all comes down to judgment. In this day and age, there are all kinds of scary things to be wary of as a young twenty-something out for the night. But at the same time, it’s not like your friends can expect you to babysit them, and vice versa. The thing is, we’re all smart girls here. Being a wingman means using your brain. It doesn’t mean glaring at the hot Econ major chatting up your friend the whole night . . . if she seems comfortable, you can safely assume the situation is under control. Stick with your friends to the point where you know where everyone is at a given time, and most importantly, when everyone is leaving. At the same time, the bearded figure who looks suspiciously over thirty buying your roommate shots of Everclear at the end of the bar? Yeah, you should probably check him out.

2. Dance floors are for dancing.
It seems silly that I even have to say this, but the sad truth of the matter is that collegiettes™ everywhere often seem to forget what kinds of activities are appropriate on the dance floor. Now I am no angel here, either. We’ve all been in (or at least witnessed?!) situations where it’s 2 a.m. and you realize that you and Blackout Ben are the only ones in the basement still Dougie-ing. Not your greatest moment. Being conscious of your surroundings will keep you partying happy all night long.

Now let’s say you’ve managed to heed my advice and are moving to the music in an actual group setting. The bad news? There’s one more major aspect of dancing to be wary of: the ever-tempting, always-embarrassing “grind”. I am by no means saying grinding is for the birds, let’s all give it up. Grinding is fun – no getting around that. But when you’re “sexy” dancing starts to shift into . . . err . . . something else, it’s time to re-evaluate. Remember, everything seems appropriate and fun in a dark frat basement, but believe me, waking up in the morning and realizing you’re skirt was hiked up for the entirety of “No Hands” last night is never a fun feeling. Use your judgment when it comes to your actions on the dance floor, and I promise your partying will be all the more pleasant.

3. It’s the little things.
One of the biggest issues my girlfriends and I have encountered when it comes to going out is keeping track of our stuff. None of us want to bring our favorite over-sized Tory Burch bag out to a frat party, so instead, we stuff lose credit cards, cash, and makeup in teeny tiny wristlets or satchels. Convenient? Yes. Easy to lose? YES. When you’re out at night, you will save yourself a world of trouble if you do your best to keep track of your belongings. I use an over the shoulder mini-bag, and leave it on all night. Believe me, putting your bag down and realizing half-way through the party that you don’t know where it is is one of the worst feelings of all time. And frantically searching a sticky frat basement for the cell phone you dropped when “Teenage Dream” came on is even worse. It’s pretty much the fastest way to ruin your night out. Think about only bringing out exactly what you need for the night to prevent any major mishaps. And definitely do your best to keep your belongings on your person . . . not on the floor.

When it comes to perfect partying, these girls know rocking a side-satchel is stylish and smart!

4. Hey girl, where’s your drink?
I know I covered this in my earlier pre-game post, but considering alcohol is the main reason you make partying mistakes in the first place, I decided it needed a place here, too. After all, when was the last time you only drank during a pre-game? The key with drinking when you’re out is not to mix alcohol. Unless, of course, you’re after that ever-elusive hangover from hell, in which case by all means, chase your cups of punch with beer and tequila shots. If you’ve been sipping rum and cokes all night, don’t suddenly decide to order a cranberry vodka. It will only do bad things, I swear. And I know this goes without saying, but no good decisions have ever been made black-out. How many times have you woken up and realized if you’d just not taken that one extra shot, your night would have been infinitely better? Yeah, me too. Think about alternating your drinks with a glass of water (I’ve been known to chug H20 in the bathroom before, no shame in that!). And of course, monitor how much you’re imbibing. The wasted girl is never the cute girl, collegiettes™. More importantly, you are ten times more likely to make a dangerous decision if you’re literally too drunk to function. Keep an eye out for your girls and keep an eye out for yourself when it comes to how much alcohol is being consumed. Have some drinks, have a good time, but please use caution with your consumption. It will keep you safer, happier and a lot less embarrassed.

There are tons of components to your typical college night out, and acing them all every single time is pretty much impossible. Don’t strive to be an absolute angel . . . part of college is making mistakes and learning from them. The key is to keep yourself from making big, huge, horrifying mistakes, which is where my suggestions come in. Be smart when you’re out and you’ll exude the confidence only a truly fabulous collegiette™ possesses. Now that’s perfect partying.

Ellie Baldini

Wake Forest

Ellie Baldini is a senior at Wake Forest University majoring in Communication and minoring in Journalism. A born-and-bred Jersey girl with three younger sisters, Ellie is considers herself a girl's girl, through and through.Currently, Ellie is the Editorial Campus Correspondent of HerCampus, Wake Forest, and the PR intern at the Wake Forest University School of Law. She is also a staff writer for the Life section of the WFU student newspaper, the Old Gold & Black. She has interned previously with a local event planner, and also has work experience at a commercial real estate firm.Ellie's primary passion is writing, closely followed by reading. While she prefers contemporary fiction writers, like Alice Hoffman, she is also a big fan of Ken Follett and Jane Austen. Ellie's favorite book is The Secret History by Donna Tartt. A self-described coffee addict, cat-lover, and a secret tabloid-reader, Ellie firmly believes in finding the silver lining in every situation.After graduation (or at least someday!), Ellie dreams of moving to New York and free-lance writing.
Kelsey Garvey is a junior English major at Wake Forest University. Her upbringing in Connecticut, otherwise known as country club land, inspired her to write in order to escape and locate something more. Writing has also acted as her outlet to dabble in subjects far beyond her my intellectual capacity: art, culture, design, fashion, photography, and music. Other than reading Vogue and Vanity Fair cover-to-cover, Kelsey enjoys frequenting the blogosphere, speaking franglais in daily conversation, and laughing at her own pathetic jokes. Feel free to email her with any questions or comments.