Pace, Amore, Pasta: Pucci, Gluttony and Oktoberfest, Oh My!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Ciao collegiettesTM! The past two weeks have flown by since I last checked in, and you better believe I have lots to share! From the shopping to the traveling (and of course the eating and drinking), my abroad experience has been nothing short of fantastico!

So, a little about my shopping adventures: let’s just say I just gained some serious style points, y’all! Two Saturdays ago I decided to do a little shopping at a vintage store that I heard about from a friend. It was definitely off the beaten path … and by beaten path I mean in a total construction zone. Once I found the cute sign, however, I was in accessories heaven! The selection of vintage designer scarves alone was enough to make any fashionista envious. I tried on Hermes, Ferragamo, Chanel and Nina Ricci scarves before settling on a gorgeous vintage Pucci scarf in aqua, green, purple and royal blue hues with black accents. It is so essentially Pucci (and Italian) that I couldn’t turn it down (in addition to the fact that it was the only one by the designer AND the only one the shop had seen in 2 years).

[pagebreak]

The next weekend I went to the Amalfi Coast with some friends (new and old) and fell in love. I did actually utter the phrase “Now this is the life I am meant to lead” while overlooking the exquisite cliffs of Capri and enjoying a chilled glass of vino with some wonderful friends. We dined on a full 3-course lunch, starting with the eponymous Caprese salad, expertly dressed with the freshest mozzarella and tomatoes I have ever eaten. For the “il primo” I chose the lemon risotto, and my goodness did it taste like heaven soaked in gluttony! I am pretty sure the only ingredients were rice, cream, butter and lemon zest – simple, fattening and perfect. When our adorable waiter explained the 5 options for dessert, you would have thought we were choosing which of our first-borns were being thrown to the sharks. We eventually settled on the tiramisu, chocolate tart and fruit cream shortbread. Needless to say, we were one crumb from licking the plates. The next day we laid on the beach in Positano like bronze goddesses while in awe of the magnificent cliffs above. Finally, on Sunday we climbed Mount Vesuvius and made our way back to Florence. Quite a weekend!

Last night, I came home from (surely) the craziest weekend I will have experienced while abroad: Oktoberfest. It was such a blast reuniting with Wake friends from all over Europe and catching up on our respective adventures. Saturday morning we hit the tents at 7:30 a.m. and waited to enter the infamous Hofbrauhaus as soon as the doors opened. By 8:30, we were seated at the large wooden tables and eating pretzels (the first of many),  strategically carb-loading before the steins started flowing. By 9, we were halfway through our first liter of beer! Yikes! Was this Carolina Cup all over again? Throughout the day I managed to see friends from all over, meet some crazy new ones and take a much-needed nap in the afternoon. But don’t worry, I did actually see Munich and even made it to the site of the 1972 Olympic games. While abroad, you must attempt to experience every city you visit as best as possible while on a tight schedule.

So those are most of the highlights going on here in Florence! Tough life, right? Next up: Chianti wine tour, Cinque Terre day trip and some museum visits. Ah, la dolce vita indeed!

*Photography provided by Chelsea Dougherty 

I am a Senior Business and Enterprise Management Major at Wake Forest University hailing from Palm City, FL. I love all things fashion-related (blog reading, vintage shopping, etc.), city life, and entrepreneurship. After spending two summers working in the business (Tommy Hilfiger in NYC and Banana Republic in San Francisco), I hope to continue my retail training after I graduate in the spring. I spent last fall in Florence, Italy so you may hear about my love of all things Italian (from Prada to Pucci). You can say I am an Italophile for many reasons besides fashion though. I have been involved with Her Campus since my sophomore year as a blogger and currently serve as the PR Director for my campus.