Online Shopping: A Blessing and a Curse

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

In the last few years I have found online shopping to become more relevant in my life. With my increasing workload and lack of desire to drive to the mall, online shopping has become a huge asset. I can comfortably shop from the comfort of my own home or wherever I am. It’s so easy that it’s dangerous.

I originally started to online shop if I needed clothes for a special occasion. If I had an event and was in a time crunch, I would immediately look to find something online. I would order a dress or shoes and it would come within the week. It was perfect and still is! At this point in time, I was not a full addict. I would limit myself to only buying things I needed. From time to time I would go to the mall or even drive all the way to outlet malls.

Then online shopping became an escape; a distraction from homework or something else I didn’t want to do. Sometimes when I was stressed, I would go to a website and spend hours adding things to my cart and not even end up buying anything! More recently online shopping has helped me cope with heartbreak and stress. While it has helped me cope with things, I also find myself, more often than not, finding clothes that I can justify as “necessary.” I can also catch myself looking at one website for hours and just wasting away time. Now that I am away from home too, I find it so much more fun to receive a package at school; it’s like a present!

I think the positives outweigh the negatives when it come to online shopping, therefore I highly recommend it. You just have to practice self-control and budget the time you spend browsing and the money you’re willing to spend.  

Carly Newell

Wake Forest '22

Carly is a freshman at Wake Forest University who is from Arlington, Massachusetts. She is also a member of the Wake Forest Club Volleyball Team and the Love Your Melon Campus Crew. She loves chocolate chip cookies and romantic comedies.
Haley Callicott

Wake Forest '19

Haley is a current senior at Wake Forest University majoring in business and minoring in writing. She is the Editor-in-Chief and Campus Correspondent for HC Wake Forest, a member of Kappa Beta Gamma and an undergraduate advisor for the Student Advisory Board.