The Official Nighttime Nutrition Survival Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

If there’s one thing that helps me get through long, strenuous days at the Forest, it’s knowing a beautiful little tub of Ben and Jerry’s ice cream is waiting for me in my mini fridge. What can I say, I’ve been let down by teachers, friends and boyfriends, but never by that chocolate filled carton that calls my name in the night. I mean, they even make a flavor NAMED Late Night Snack!

The longer you’re awake during the day, the more time you have to be hungry. Us collegiettes are up late completing homework and other assignments, so we turn to sugary snacks to give us a boost and get us through the night. The problem? These snacks may taste heavenly at the time, but they eventually wreak total waistline havoc. Look, I know we all do it: mosey over to the Sundry at 11 pm to scoop a goodie bag of gummy worms, chocolate covered pretzels and peanut M&Ms. It seems harmless, perhaps this mindless habit has even become a permanent part of your late night study routine. Unfortunately, it’s a routine that may be adding on an extra 600 CALORIES to your daily intake…(Do I have your attention now?)

Fret not, my calorie counting collegiettes; there ARE healthier late night snacks that can satisfy sweet, salty or savory cravings without all the unwanted calories. The best part? You can pick these items up right now in the sundry or P.O.D and start your new nighttime nutrition regimen TONIGHT!

[pagebreak]

If you crave sweet…(like me!)

There’s nothing more delicious than peanut butter. And though I tend to prefer it in a Reese’s or a Cookout milkshake at 1 am, that’s certainly not the healthiest way to eat it. Instead, smear PB on a piece of fruit. A banana or apple dipped in peanut butter is the perfect choice. Bananas and apples contain enough sugar to perk you up, and the peanut butter contains healthy fats to fill you up. The best part about it? You can make this snack for FREE! Grab some fruit from the pit and snag a few of those individual Smucker’s peanut butter containers from the bagel area.

And a few more ideas:

• Greek yogurt sprinkled with cinnamon and honey
  • Fat free pudding sprinkled with raisins or sliced almonds
  • Twizzlers or Redvines

If you crave salty…

Chex mix is NOT the way to go. It’s filled with empty carbs. Instead, try munching on popcorn, as long as it’s not the movie-theatre-butter kind. Low-fat popcorn is yummy and a good source of fiber. It’s healthiest to buy unflavored (that way you can spare yourself any additives), but there’s plenty of ways to jazz up the kernels on your own. Try sprinkling hot sauce or chili powder on top if you’re feeling spicy (my roommate turned me on to this). Cinnamon is also a fun topping if you want to balance salty with sweet. I love salt and vinegar chips, so a sprinkle of vinegar powder is my ideal topping.  

And a few more ideas:

• Edamame (warm up in the microwave and sprinkle with coarse sea salt!)
  • Cheese sticks (made with low fat milk)
  • A handful of pretzels dipped in mustard

Happy snacking, collegiettes! 

Lauren Friezo

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for News and Content Uploader. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Entrepreneurship and Social Enterprise and Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies. Expected graduation in May 2015.
A Communications major and Journalism minor from New Jersey, Ellie has been writing for HerCampus for almost 3 years now. Known for her sassy personality and sunny outlook on life, Ellie prides herself on her confidence and composure- especially when it comes to how she writes! Ellie is the oldest of four girls, and in her free time loves a good book, the beach, and coffee of any variety. An active writer and blogger, Ellie is so pleased to have taken over the role of Editorial Campus Correspondent for HC-WakeForest, and looks forward to another year of lots of HCLove.