This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you’ve probably spent years screenshotting pictures of tattoos. I’ve always wanted a tiny, tasteful tattoo, but I’ve never been able to commit. The permanency scares me! Besides, the pressure of finding something that would be meaningful forever seemed like a large task. But if the COVID-19 lockdown taught me anything, it’s that there may be no tomorrow (literally). Tattoo shops could close again any day. So, I decided to suck it up and finally get my tiny tattoo. 

My friend, Andrea, and I researched tattoo shops in Winston-Salem, eventually deciding on one called Deja Vu in the Hanes Mall. I’d already gotten my ears pierced there, so I knew that they were clean and made me feel safe. Due to COVID-19 procedures, they wouldn’t allow Andrea and me to go into the store at the same time. I knew that if Andrea went first, I’d probably back out (she’s much braver than I am and already had a tattoo), so I went in first. I had decided on a tiny Saturn on my rib cage, which had no meaning behind it other than the fact that I thought it looked cool. It took about five minutes and barely hurt at all! I’ve always been told that the rib cage is the most painful place to get a tattoo, and even my artist told me that it would hurt a lot, but perhaps the anticipated pain actually lessened it for me. 

All in all, I don’t regret my tattoo in the slightest. It’s so small and hidden that I often forget it’s there! But I can style certain shirts to show it off, and I love that. If you are considering getting a tattoo, I would say go for it! The five minutes of pain and $50 are worth it for something that will bring you happiness. Sometimes we all need something to change up our look, and maybe a tiny tattoo is also the right move for you!

Alice Bothwell

Wake Forest '22

Alice is currently a junior at Wake Forest University. She’s originally from New York City but is very excited to be living in the South!
Taylor Knupp

Wake Forest '21

Taylor is a senior from Harrisburg, PA studying Business and Enterprise Management. She is the outgoing Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus at WFU. Taylor plans to move to New York City after graduation to work as a Business Analyst at Verizon.