Modern Christmas Songs to Add to Your Way-Too-Early Holiday Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Many by now have seen the meme of Christmas music icon, Mariah Carey, defrosting on November 1st. While the meme is hilarious, it accurately presents a faction of the world which starts getting ready for Christmas as soon as it hits November. I am a lover of both Thanksgiving and fall, but I’m also a believer that you can enjoy these things and incorporate a little or a lot of Christmas into your November. While timeless classics like “Let it Snow” and “Deck the Halls” are certainly irreplaceable due to their dose of holiday nostalgia, here are some underrated modern Christmas songs that all my fellow early Christmas celebrators will love.

1) “Kid on Christmas” by Pentatonix featuring Meghan Trainor

This list would be remiss without the iconic a capella group, Pentatonix. While Pentatonix is widely known for their covers of pre-existing Christmas songs, they do have their share of original songs as well. Of these, I particularly enjoy “Kid on Christmas,” which is an upbeat pop song about remembering the magic of how Christmas felt as a kid. The song also features Meghan Trainor, whose cheery voice lends itself perfectly to Christmas music. To add to the splendor of this song, it comes with a fun, viral TikTok dance choreographed by duo Cost n’ Mayor, which consists of husband and wife, Austin and Marideth Telenko. 

2) “Cozy Little Christmas” by Katy Perry

In this song, Perry sings about not needing the sparkly and luxurious elements of Christmas as long as she can experience the magical feeling of the holidays with loved ones. This song is for sure more on the pop side, which may not appeal to classic Christmas song purists, however, I think it is for sure worth throwing on while you decorate your tree.

3) “Like It’s Christmas” by the Jonas Brothers

In what I would argue is the most well known song on this list, the Jonas Brothers put their spin on a Christmas tune. “Like It’s Christmas” features an insanely catchy beat, and is a romance and holiday song in one. In the song, the Jo Bros serenade a person who makes “every day feel like it’s Christmas.” The song is also featured in the Netflix show “Dash and Lily,” produced by the Jonas Brothers, which is one of my favorite shows to rewatch each holiday season.

4) “My Only Wish (This Year)” by Britney Spears

“My Only Wish (This Year)” has a special place in my heart as one of my personal favorite Christmas songs. In the song, Spears laments on being surrounded by happy holiday couples and asks Santa for her true love underneath her tree. If you are also hoping Christmas might bring you a kiss under the mistletoe, this song is perfect. This bop was also recently featured in the 2021 Netflix film “Single All the Way,” which is a cute holiday rom-com worth a watch beyond its wonderful music selection. 

5) “Five More Days ‘til Christmas” by The Cheetah Girls

As the name suggests, this song finds The Cheetah Girls counting down the days until Christmas. With relatively simple and repetitive lyrics set to a fun beat, this song is perfect to play for young kids who may be antsy in anticipation of the big day.

6) “Christmas Tree Farm” by Taylor Swift

When Taylor Swift said she “was raised on a farm” in her scalding Jake Gyllenhaal diss “I Bet You Think About Me,” she was actually talking about a Christmas tree farm. Swift grew up in Pennsylvania and wistfully recalls watching people “bundled up in their mittens and coats” come to her parents’ farm to “dance under sparkling lights” and drink cider. Besides being super sweet, this song also provides inspiration for some Christmas time activities. 

Kenley McClure

Wake Forest '27

Hi! My name is Kenley McClure and I am a freshman at Wake Forest University. I am from Charlotte, North Carolina also known as the Queen City. Most of the time, you can find me making or buying coffee, expanding my earring collection, dancing, or taking pictures with a disposable camera!