Melodic Mumblings: Too Early for Christmas Music? I Think Not

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

With Thanksgiving over (yes it’s been a day, I know), it’s clear that we are only thinking about one thing: the Christmas season! Although the Thanksgiving holiday allows for a giant feast and some good football, we all know Christmas is the most exciting part about the winter.  Christmastime is easily my favorite time of the year, and even those who don’t celebrate the holiday can still appreciate the spirit that fills the atmosphere. At this point, it seems that everywhere from the mall to the airport is decorated with some sort of ornamentation. But what aspect of the season always puts everyone in holiday spirit without fail?! Some yuletide jams! I have decided to share just a few of my favorites for you all to enjoy over break. We all knew these songs would be on the radio the minute Thanksgiving ended anyway….

1. “O Holy Night,” Faith Hill

For those of you who appreciate more traditional music, this is one of the ‘greats.’ This song is a classic and Faith Hill absolutely kills it. Her powerful voice will blow you away. I still haven’t heard a solo artist produce a song as powerful around Christmastime yet.

1. “O Come, O Come Emmanuel,” The Civil Wars

This is another traditional song, but with a modern and upbeat spin. The Civil Wars have recently garnered attention after they collaborated with Taylor Swift on “Safe & Sound” for the first Hunger Games soundtrack. They are a Grammy nominated folk duo, made up of husband and wife and chock-full of talent. They have masterfully manipulated the classic hymnal into their own creation by giving the song a sort of eerie but lasting overtone. I highly recommend this song and if you aren’t familiar with their other music, I suggest you give their album a listen as well.

1. “Carol of the Bells,” Trans Siberian Orchestra

Easily my favorite Christmas song of all time! I’ve listened to this song as a kid, but when I heard this version I fell even more in love. Nothing gets you more hyped for Christmas than hearing electric guitars playing “Carol Of the Bells.” It’s a really great modern rendition that captures the Christmas spirit for those of us who like something a little more upbeat. Also, something cool to check out this video that was first released in 2002. Professional decorator Carson Williams of Mason, Ohio spent two months and $10,000 to make this dream come to life.

1. “The Christmas Song,” Nat King Cole

Listening to this song, I just immediately picture myself drinking hot chocolate by a fire while it’s snowing outside. And obviously, I’ve been transported back into the 50’s. Even those of you from the warmer parts of the US can appreciate that warm fuzzy feeling you get listening to this song. To me, this song wraps up what the Christmas season is all about.

1. “All I Want for Christmas is You,” Mariah Carey

Does this song even need an explanation? It’s not Christmas until you’ve belted this song out with your friends, or sister, or maybe even your mom. My only advice, stick to the original. The Justin Bieber version just does not compare.

Well collegiettes, this list includes just some of the jingle jams that always get me excited for the holiday season. I hope they put you in that happy, cheerful, and wonderful mood I know I always get in when listening to these songs. Have a lovely Thanksgiving, don’t get injured in any black Friday shopping and get ready for some aggressive Christmas cheer when you return from break! 

Cassie Brown

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for Campus Cutie. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Journalism and Communication. Expected graduation in May 2014.