Megan Donovan Talks and Takes CHARGE

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

We take the tunnel between the Joel and BB&T field without thinking twice about it; a quick hop along the beautifully painted walkway, and we’ve avoided gameday traffic just like that. But the convenient underground path hasn’t always been in use. Before Megan Donovan’s CHARGE proposal, it was a grimy, dimly lit pit that made you actually want to risk your life crossing four lanes of traffic rather than braving the tunnel through underground sketch-town. Nowadays, the safe and enjoyable walk is just another success for the students participating in the CHARGE program.

Over the past 28 years, hundreds of students just like Megan have seen their ideas become a reality through CHARGE (formerly LEAD). From the mural in the aforementioned tunnel to the recent implementation of Google email service, CHARGE has had a hand in many of the major improvements we have seen on our campus and around our city as of late. The 10-week leadership development experience begins again this spring, and all sophomore and freshman students are encouraged to apply. Throughout the course of the program, the selected student participants are grouped with upperclassmen mentors to develop their own personal leadership skills as well as overall proposals to better the Wake Forest community.

Megan, a senior psychology major, has been passionate about CHARGE since her time as a mentee and counts it as one of the most fulfilling experiences of her Wake Forest career. As a current member of the steering committee, she was able to give Her Campus the inside scoop on the program before this Friday’s application deadline. 

Her Campus (HC): What was your reason for joining CHARGE?
Megan Donovan (MD): I joined CHARGE as a freshman because I so desperately sought an avenue to better myself as a leader, meet older mentors and become connected to diverse opportunities on campus. The fantastic thing about the program is that it grows as you do—I was a group leader both my sophomore and junior years, and I am now a part of the 4-person steering committee along with Megan Massey, Hamlin Wade and Matthew Simari. Collectively, we are responsible for implementing the entirety of the CHARGE program.

HC: Can you explain a little bit more about CHARGE and its purpose?
MD: CHARGE is a leadership development program for freshmen and sophomore emerging leaders. The program seeks to aid underclassmen in developing their own leadership capabilities, while at the same time providing an avenue to enact real change across campus through project proposals to the administration. Every week participants partake in “leadership labs,” which are fun and interactive sessions designed to educate and enlighten participants about leadership.

HC: What impact has the organization made on this campus?
MD: CHARGE has been responsible for a number of significant changes on campus—many of which often go unassociated with the program. The switch to Google mail, shuttles to football games and the new tailgating layout and procedures all began as CHARGE project proposals.

HC: What are the program’s future goals?
MD: CHARGE is committed to doing what we do best—cultivating emerging leaders and enacting real change on campus. As the student body grows, we hope to as well! Our program is constantly evolving, and no two years are ever exactly the same.

HC: What are your personal future goals?
MD: I have so many! I want to backpack throughout Kenya, write a memoir of my childhood, learn how to sail and enact some sort of change in the world. Although as of now, I’m just focusing on getting a job for after graduation … that is not comprised of flipping burgers.

HC: What is your favorite thing about Wake Forest?
MD: There is nothing better than being woken up from a cozy nap by the Wait Chapel bells. I’ve always loved how the entire campus goes into hibernation from 3-5 and only awakens with the ringing bells (which clearly signal that it’s time to go to the Pit for dinner). It’s just so uniquely Wake Forest.

HC: Best experience working with the CHARGE?
MD: The best experience working with CHARGE was being able to see my idea come to fruition for a mural of the upper Quad painted in the tunnel that connects the football stadium to the Joel. The tangible and concrete success of my group’s project proposal was so incredibly fulfilling. That experience single handedly cemented my belief in the power of the CHARGE program.

HC: Where can students go to apply?
MD: Students can go to the Office of Student Development website at http://www.wfu.edu/studentdevand follow the links for Leadership Development and the CHARGE program. Applications can be downloaded online and are due to Benson 317 by Friday, November 4. If anyone has specific questions about the program, I would be happy to convince them of the program’s greatness. Shoot me an e-mail at donoml8@wfu.edu

The CHARGE program is an exciting opportunity for any Wake Forest collegiette™, so download that application today because this isn’t one you want to pass up!