Meet the Breast Cancer Fashion Show Models!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

As a kid, I dressed up in my mom’s old prom dresses and strutted around my playroom with my cousin—our own little version of a fashion show. A few years later I changed my career aspirations from model to fashion designer and spent hours trying to recreate outfits I saw in magazines and commercials. Little did I know that I would be able to put these experiences to good use my senior year in college.

For the last 8 months, my co-chair and I (and our 15 committee members) have been planning the 15th Annual Panhellenic Breast Cancer Fashion Show, which supports Susan G. Komen for the Cure to raise money for breast cancer research. There are a lot of technicalities that go into planning for a fashion show—lighting, ticket sales, PR campaigns, securing sponsors, etc. But what fashion show would be complete without, well, the fashion? And of course, smokin’ hot models?

These 10 senior models from various Greek organizations walked the catwalk and sported trendy must-have styles from local boutiques – Monkee’s, Bevello and Lara’s Favorite Things. They aren’t professionals, but they sure did own the runway! Meet the 2011 BCFS models!

Name: Taylor Billings
Hometown: Winston-Salem, North Carolina (townie!)
Major: Communication and Psychology
Greek Organization: Kappa Kappa Gamma

Her Campus (HC): What was your reaction to being chosen as the model for Kappa?
Taylor Billings (TB): I was really excited! My mother passed away from breast cancer, and my family has been giving to the Susan G. Komen foundation for a long time. I thought this was another great chance to get involved in fighting cancer.
HC: What was your favorite outfit you wore in the show?
TB: I would have to say my favorite outfit that I wore was the black and gold strapless dress. I am a huge Wake fan and loved wearing the “Demon Deacon” dress, as it came to be called by everyone.
HC: If you could choose one item to buy that was in the show (that you or someone else wore) what would it be?
TB: I want the red jeans from Monkee’s! No better way to make a statement in a casual way.

Name: Ellen Dicus
Hometown: Topeka, Kansas
Major: Communication and French
Greek Organization: Kappa Delta

Her Campus (HC): What was your favorite part of being a model?
Ellen Dicus (ED): Once we were dressed with our hair and makeup done, the fashion chair, Courtie Jaffe, helped us “get hyped,” so we listened to “Vogue” and struck some poses. Then we practiced our walk a few times to loosen up, and finally Morgan taught us how to “wobble.” Dancing around was a great way to get our energy up.
HC: How would you describe your style?
ED: I would say my style is classic and polished. I also try to emulate French women’s style because it is eternally cool.
HC: Did you have any other modeling/pageant experience before the BCFS?
ED: This past summer as an intern for Rent the Runway, we had a guerilla marketing day where we went to different locations in New York City to promote the company. In Times Square, we laid out a pink carpet and walked down the runway, at the same time encouraging passersby to do the same thing. It was just for fun, but it’s the only other time I’ve done any “modeling” in front of a large group of people.

Name: Carmen Green
Major: Sociology
Greek Organization: Delta Sigma Theta

Her Campus (HC): If you could choose one item to buy that was in the show (that you or someone else wore) what would it be?
Carmen Green (CG): It would be the gold sequin dress that Mead Osborn wore in the formal section. It looked gorgeous, and I would feel like a complete diva in it!
HC: Did you ever dream of being a model/fashion designer when you were little?
CG: What little girl doesn’t play dress-up and strut around the house? As a little girl, being a model was a fantasy.
HC: How would you describe your personal style?
CG: My personal style is colorful, comfortable and unique. I love accessories and cannot leave the house without at least one piece that will make people look twice.
[pagebreak]

Name: Morgan Gunter
Hometown: Raleigh, North Carolina
Major: Psychology
Greek Organization: Alpha Kappa Alpha

Her Campus (HC): What was your favorite part about being a model?
Morgan Gunter (MG): My favorite part of being a model was being pampered—getting my hair and makeup done. It made me feel special and girly, which I don’t usually feel because I work with the football team. 9 times out of 10 I’m in football gear.
MG: I did dream of being a model, but it was squashed when I only reached 5’4”.
MG: I have not had any experience modeling, so this was my first show. I had a lot of fun doing it, and I’ve always joked around with my friends. Having my moment on stage was a once-in-a-lifetime experience and will definitely be among my top 10 memorable moments here at Wake Forest.

Name: Kelly Larson
Hometown: Cincinnati, Ohio
Major: Communication and Studio Art
Greek Organization: Delta Zeta

Kelly Larson (KL): It was so much fun to get my hair done! Besides being straight, it’s generally uncooperative. Also the runway was such an adrenaline rush!
KL: The first outfit was something I would definitely wear! You probably couldn’t see them, but how fun were the multicolored earrings from my evening look?
KL: Unless you count constantly cat-walking the hallway between our rooms all dressed up with my sister, no.

Name: Brittney Maine
Hometown: Boone, North Carolina
Major: Psychology and Sociology
Greek Organization: Alpha Delta Pi

Brittney Maine (BM): The emerald green satin cocktail dress that I wore!
BM: My personal style consists of a mix of glam and tradition. As a southern girl, I’m all about heels, big hair, makeup and jewelry. At the same time, however, I really enjoy taking simple pieces and adding fun embellishments to create the perfect look.
BM: My mom actually put me in my first pageant when I was 3 years old. I loved being on stage and getting dressed up so much that I’ve been hooked ever since! I currently compete in the Miss North Carolina system in hopes of one day ending up on the Miss America stage in Las Vegas!

[pagebreak]

Name: Susan Upton
Hometown: Lithia, Florida
Major: Communication
Greek Organization: Delta Delta Delta

Her Campus (HC): What was your favorite outfit you wore in the show?
Susan Upton (SU): I LOVED my first outfit, which had this super huge fur vest and amazing boots, but I actually just went out and bought the second outfit – a black and gold dress that I think I will probably wear as a shirt. It was so dang short!
SU: Edgy-ish preppy with lots of hoop earrings.
SU: Nothing formal, but my grandmother is Miss Universe 1954, so I would say that counts as pageant experience!

Name: Melanie Uy
Hometown: Middlesboro, Kentucky
Major: Psychology, Pre-Med
Greek Organization: Phi Mu

Melanie Uy (MU): I really loved my downtown look, which was a gold sequin top from Lara’s Favorite Things with jeans and black heels.
MU: I did have a short stage in my childhood when I liked to draw clothes. So I guess in a way I wanted to be able to wear the clothes that I drew.
MU: I was asked to be in a pageant in high school, but I declined the offer. So no actual modeling/pageant experience.

Name: Meghan Wood
Hometown: Long Island, New York
Major: English
Greek Organization: Kappa Beta Gamma

Meghan Wood (MW): I think my favorite outfit was the first one—just jeans and a cozy long sweater. It’s my go-to look when I’m on campus and just want to be comfortable.
HC: What was your favorite part of being a model?
MW: My favorite part was probably the fitting. It was great to go into the store and try on a ton of different things.
MW: No, not really. I used to work at a small boutique at home though, so I always thought it would be fun to have a store of my own.

*Photography by Elise Wallace and Dean Shore

Jackie Swoyer is a rising senior at Wake Forest University majoring in Business and Enterprise Management, concentrating in Marketing and minoring in Economics. While her collegiate years have been spent in the Carolinas, this aspiring marketer currently calls Cincinnati, Ohio home...although she has spent years moving all over the country and beyond (including a five year period in Europe!). She is currently prepping for a summer internship in the Frito Lay Marketing Division in Plano, Texas, a new stop on her geographical repertoire. An avid reader of all things Her Campus, Jackie also loves to write, listen to Pandora, practice her cooking skills, and find live music anywhere she can.