Making Time for First Semester Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Now that sorority rush is over and the dust is settling, many of us find ourselves torn in a million different directions. Our classes have gotten a little (or a lot) harder, we still have our extracurriculars from first semester, some of us work, and if you ended up going Greek, we’re now pledging which involves meetings and Sisterhoods and getting to know as many people as possible. There’s a lot going on and if your time management skills aren’t up to speed, you may be feeling a little overwhelmed. Even though I consider myself to be a very organized person, some parts of my life have certainly fallen to the wayside, one of which was my first semester friends- the girls and guys I spent all of my time with last semester. Some of them joined greek life, and others didn’t. The ones who did are scattered in so many of the sororities and fraternities on campus that our schedules hardly match up anymore. The people who were my entire world last semester have slowly turned into the people I got excited to see around campus, but struggle to make significant, meaningful time to see. 

When we all realized this, my friends and I decided to take matters into our own hands. We now have a rule that all of us (or as many of us as humanly possible given our schedules) will have dinner together once a week. My closest friends and I exchanged schedules and have weekly lunches planned, too. Everyone has to eat, so we hope that by organizing our time together around meals, these meetings have to happen. It is certainly less than ideal that we have to schedule, down to the hour, each time my friends and I can see each other, but for now, these meals are the best we can do. I had a blast with these people last semester and I know they can only make this semester better, so any time I can possibly spend with them is a gift. Despite sorority and fraternity rush stirring the pot and mixing up my social scene, I plan to keep making time for those who are important to me, even if that involves penciling my friends into my planner.

Erin Byrd

Wake Forest '23

Erin is a sophomore from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania who hopes to major in Finance and minor in Psychology.
Claire Fletcher

Wake Forest '20

Mathematical Business Major at Wake Forest University