Madridian Mishaps and Misadventures in the Kapital City: Adios Madrid!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

I saw it coming. The wrap-up blog. I knew it was close. But not this close. I started my blog life at Her Campus with a quote about the discovery of a “new” Clare. Well, I found her. Coming into this experience I was convinced that I would forever remain an outsider in Madrid and that big city life was not my forte. With a smile on my face, I can now say that, to my chagrin, I know that is not the case. This experience has taught me that I am stronger and more capable than I have ever given myself credit for. I can navigate a city whilst riding solo and even utilize public transportation on the reg (although I won’t miss it)!

Saying goodbye to Madrid this coming Wednesday will be bittersweet. Over the last few days I have tried to take in everything—the sights and smells and people and language one last time. It scares me that this may be my final time here, or that some of these opportunities that have been so accessible for four months, will once again be an ocean away. However, I have relationships and happenings (and dogs!) at home to return to that are all too alluring to keep me across the pond.  

Last night, the Deacs had a final night out at Fontana de Oro and Pacha, the same places, if you recall, that we discovered on our first excursion into the Madridian nightlife scene. As we bookended the semester, things felt right. The friendships that have been made here might be situational, but we won’t know until we return to the “Bubble” of Wake Forest. But one thing is for sure: with these Deacs here, the end of this whirlwind semester is sweeter and less bitter. Coming into the program, many of us were strangers, but now we are a family.

It is hard to sit down and write about my feelings regarding this semester, put into words the life-changing adventures I have had and the sentiments I feel in coming home.

I have learned so much. I have learned that being alone is good. At Wake, I often feel pressure to be surrounded by friends at all times, and I rarely take time out for myself. Here I have enjoyed the long solo walks en route to school, museums, Starbucks, etc. They are good for contemplation and for just taking in the beauty and character of my city. I see Madrid differently during these solo strolls and see myself differently too, as an independent and capable individual. I have also learned some things about myself that are less deep and thought-provoking and more prosaic. For instance, I learned I don’t like waiting two hours for a check at a restaurant. I learned that the siesta way of life is not for me. I learned that Sol is creepy at night and I have learned that La Mallorquina has the best nepolitanos in all of Madrid.

This blog is shorter because I have given my all to this city and this venture. I have sucked the marrow out of my study abroad experience, and it is closing time.  This is an experience I will relish forever and will look back upon it as a time of freedom, maturation and joy. Thank you for sharing this journey with me.

Jackie Swoyer is a rising senior at Wake Forest University majoring in Business and Enterprise Management, concentrating in Marketing and minoring in Economics. While her collegiate years have been spent in the Carolinas, this aspiring marketer currently calls Cincinnati, Ohio home...although she has spent years moving all over the country and beyond (including a five year period in Europe!). She is currently prepping for a summer internship in the Frito Lay Marketing Division in Plano, Texas, a new stop on her geographical repertoire. An avid reader of all things Her Campus, Jackie also loves to write, listen to Pandora, practice her cooking skills, and find live music anywhere she can.