Love Lost and Found, Insecurity, and Growth: The Themes and Best Lyrics Behind Taylor Swift’s Midnights

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

When fans “met her at midnight,” Taylor Swift delivered. Her tenth studio album, Midnights, released October 21, chronicles sleepless nights of every variety, exploring themes of gratitude, insecurity, growing up, and lost love. Swift’s latest work represents the best of her writing – catchy melodies and deep-cutting lyrics that seem to read minds – yet still feels remarkably new. Now 32 years old, she reflects on her past with heightened wisdom and basks in genuine happiness. But like anyone else, she has moments of doubt and self-loathing; it is these confessions that make Midnights one of her most vulnerable works to date.

Let’s dive into a number of the album’s most important themes and best lyrics.

THEME: Lost love and breakup reflections

Swift’s early career was largely defined by her ability to set heartbreak to a tune. Midnights bonus track “Would’ve, Could’ve, Should’ve” reflects on young heartbreak many years later, while “Question…?” imagines a frustrated conversation between two former lovers. Most notably, “Maroon” contains striking parallels to Swift’s 2012 hit, “Red,” reminiscing on lost love with colorful imagery of rust and spilled wine.

Best lyrics:

1. “I miss who I used to be / The tomb won’t close, stained glass windows in my mind / I regret you all the time” (“Would’ve, Could’ve, Should’ve”)
  2. “It only feels this raw right now / Lost in the labyrinth of my mind / Break up, break free, break through, break down” (“Labyrinth”)

THEME: Love and gratitude

In a promotional video leading up to the album’s release, Swift explained that the first track, “Lavender Haze” was penned about her long-term relationship with actor Joe Alwyn. Swift may be the master of the vengeful breakup song, but her lovestruck lyrics are just as powerful. They can also be heard on “Snow on the Beach,” a track featuring Lana Del Rey that compares the magical qualities of falling in love to its title’s phenomenon. 

Best lyrics:

1. “Outside they’re pushing and shoving / You’re in the kitchen humming / All that you ever wanted from me was sweet nothing” (“Sweet Nothing”)
  2. “Flying in a dream, stars by the pocketful / You wanting me tonight feels impossible” (“Snow on the Beach”)

THEME: Insecurity

Swift also previously shared that this album would feature one of her most personal tracks yet, called “Anti-Hero” a “guided tour throughout all the things I hate about myself.” The song, which is also the album’s lead single, embodies the spirit of late-night racing thoughts through a contrastingly upbeat melody. “Labyrinth” reveals a post-breakup fear of falling in love again; “Dear Reader” paints herself and her music as an unreliable narrator.

Best lyrics:

1. “I have this thing where I get older but just never wiser / Midnights become my afternoons / When my depression works the graveyard shift / All of the people I’ve ghosted stand there in the room” (“Anti-Hero”)
  2. “You wouldn’t take my word for it if you knew who was talking / If you knew where I was walking” (“Dear Reader”)

THEME: Growth

Having been in the spotlight since age 16, Swift’s public past is readily available for her to reflect on. “You’re On Your Own, Kid” talks directly to her former self, navigating heartbreak and struggling to succeed in the music industry. It also acknowledges her history with an eating disorder, ending with an uplifting message to the person she once was. 

1. “I hosted parties and starved my body / Like I’d be saved by a perfect kiss” (“You’re On Your Own, Kid”)
  2. “‘Cause there were pages turned with the bridges burned / Everything you lose is a step you take / So make the friendship bracelets, take the moment and taste it / You’ve got no reason to be afraid” (“You’re On Your Own, Kid”)
Judianne Meredith

Wake Forest '25

My name is Judianne Meredith and I'm a junior at Wake Forest from River Vale, New Jersey. I am majoring in politics and international affairs with minors in journalism and anthropology. I love to write and am excited to be part of Her Campus to connect with college girls like me!