Keep Warm & Toasty: HC’s Top Investment-Worthy Winter Coats

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

There’s more to choosing a winter coat than simply staying warm and dry. Come on! First and foremost, it’s about the look and occasion, and then you make sure it keeps you toasty. From J.Crew to Burberry and everything in between, there are all kinds of coat trends to choose from, but here are our 4 favorite styles. How do you know which one is right for you? Never fear collegiettes™! We’re here to help you stay cute and cozy this winter!

Peacoat

Traditionally only seen in navy blue, these coats have been adapted from their days as U.S. navy uniform and now come in any color of the rainbow. The classic peacoat is usually made from heavy wool with signature broad lapels and a double-breasted front. Look for black or, to show some school spirit, a bright yellow! Warmth Factor: high!

Trench Coat

Typically, a trench coat is double-breasted and comes shades of tan or black, but now you can find them in myriad colors and textures. Although they vary in warmth, trenches are usually used for protection from the rain rather than helping survive the snow. When shopping for a trench, look for one with a removable liner so you can wear it in a variety of temperatures. Warmth factor: varies.
  [pagebreak]

Quilted Coat

The most common (and traditional) brand on campus is Burberry, which, although famous for their trench coat, makes fantastic shorter, quilted styles. The Burberry quilted coat is characterized by the quilted stitching and classic Burberry check lining on the inside, which is also visible when the sleeves are cuffed. This super chic lightweight option makes up in fashion what it lacks in warmth. Also, just a warning: be prepared to pay for a designer brand. Warmth factor: medium.

The Puffer

Is it just us, or are winters getting colder and harsher (especially in the north)? We may not get 3 feet of snow overnight like NYC, but we still need to be prepared for the wrath of Mother Nature. Enter the puffer coat: it’s all the rage in Paris and London, not to mention Boston and New York. It’s both insulated and waterproof: think your favorite down comforter in coat form. The knee-length black puffer is the most common style, but you can also find shorter puffers in brighter colors! Warmth factor: off the charts!

The perfect winter coat is a worthwhile investment. And who says you have to choose just one? Start a collection!

*Some photography by Madeline Baker

Jackie Swoyer is a rising senior at Wake Forest University majoring in Business and Enterprise Management, concentrating in Marketing and minoring in Economics. While her collegiate years have been spent in the Carolinas, this aspiring marketer currently calls Cincinnati, Ohio home...although she has spent years moving all over the country and beyond (including a five year period in Europe!). She is currently prepping for a summer internship in the Frito Lay Marketing Division in Plano, Texas, a new stop on her geographical repertoire. An avid reader of all things Her Campus, Jackie also loves to write, listen to Pandora, practice her cooking skills, and find live music anywhere she can.