This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Monday, September 23 was the first day of fall, and it was 89 degrees. As a Chicago native, I am not accustomed to humidity or heat past August. It’s currently 69 degrees in Chicago, a temperature that Winston-Salem will not reach until the end of October. Needless to say, I am craving fall weather, and here are the reasons why: 

Sweaters

Not only are sweaters my favorite article of clothing, but there is something so enticing about bundling up. A new feature I have this year is the ability to control the temperature in my room. So, while it is 86 degrees and sunny outside, my room is a pleasant 69 (I would make it colder if my thermostat allowed) and I am always in a sweater.

Colors

Being the visual person I am, the variety of colors fall brings are appealing to my eye and set me in a creative mindset. I did not truly appreciate the intensity of fall colors until coming to Wake as the city of Chicago has two colors: green and grey. 

Running

Sixty degrees and sunny is my favorite weather to run in. It is the perfect middle on the spectrum of being too hot to the point of fainting, and too cold to the point of needing a hat and gloves. 

Food

While most associate fall foods with anything labeled “pumpkin spice”, I think of Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays as it groups all of the quintessential fall foods into one night. From pumpkin and apple pie to cranberry sauce and stuffing, you can’t go wrong. 

Traditions

Fall is reminiscent of all of the traditions my sister and I have with our dad. Before our sports schedules got too busy and school picked up, fall was when we spent the most quality time with our father. Every year, we went apple and pumpkin picking in Wisconsin followed by a pie bake-off.

Chandler Stearns

Wake Forest '22

My name is Chandler Stearns and I am a current sophomore from Chicago, IL (GO CUBS). I plan on majoring in Communications with a double minor in English and Entrepreneurship. My favorite things are laughing until I'm crying and dancing until I make a complete fool of myself.
Claire Fletcher

Wake Forest '20

Mathematical Business Major at Wake Forest University