Hobby-Hunting: Do More of What You Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

“What do you like to do for fun?” I’ve heard this question too many times to count, but it still causes me to stop and think before answering. It’s no secret that as college students, we spend most of our time completing tasks which are driven by a concrete purpose or deadline; studying for tests, writing papers, attending extracurricular meetings, or working on job applications. And the time that is not spent listening to lectures in class or bent over textbooks in the library is usually devoted to socializing with friends or resting. 

With our jam-packed schedules, we often forget about incorporating the things we love into our daily routine. Think about it. When was the last time you read a book, painted a picture, or played an instrument for fun? If you have trouble recalling the last time you did something solely for the sake of pure enjoyment, or find these moments to be few and far between, chances are it is time to find a new hobby or rekindle an old one. 

“But it’s too late to start now!” you might say. After all, many of us were introduced to a sport, instrument, art form, or other activity at a young age, and encouraged to develop our talents to attain a level of excellence and mastery. There appears to be a stigma around trying new things as a young adult because of fear of being judged as an amateur, and a conviction that it is impossible to catch up to individuals who have attained mastery of their talent through years of experience. 

This fear, however, is holding us back from the joy that comes from doing things we love. We need to be open to trying new things, embracing the uncertainty and excitement of new beginnings. Just because you may not become an expert at a particular activity doesn’t mean it is not a worthwhile hobby to take up. After all, there is so much value in doing what we love simply for the enjoyment of it. The options for hobbies are endless, including, but not limited to the following activities:

• Playing an instrument
  • Drawing or painting
  • Reading
  • Photography
  • Yoga
  • Spin classes
  • Hiking
  • Pottery
  • Running
  • Playing a sport
  • Journaling
  • Cooking
  • Baking
  • Gardening
  • Singing
  • Dancing

Pick up one of these new hobbies, and you may just end up finding a new passion, and regardless, doing an activity which brings joy and fulfillment to your everyday life.

Clara O'Connor

Wake Forest '26

Hi! I'm Clara O'Connor, a sophomore at Wake Forest University! I am from Darien, CT, and plan on majoring in Elementary Education and English. I love singing, spending time outdoors, spin classes, iced coffee, and listening to Taylor Swift!