Her Impact: Why We Choose to Reuse [Water Bottles]

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Taking a break from studying in the Green Room the other day, I walked over to the Hydration Station in the hallway to refill my aluminum water bottle. Watching the refill count on the machine climb to 6,000+, I began to think about why I am so committed to using it. I’d much prefer to use my own bottle over any plastic bottle, and it’s not only because drinking tap water is cheaper, more sustainable, and actually more regulated and safer than drinking bottled water. It’s also the bottle itself, because it’s mine.

It’s dinged and dented from hiking through Peru last summer, and I’ve got a hair tie looped through the handle for my Beginner’s Tennis class later this afternoon. The right side of my “13.1” sticker is faded from rubbing against the pocket of my backpack – I was so proud to earn that sticker after training through the winter. An “Outsiders” sticker on the other side reminds me of a car full of friends singing at the top of our lungs, driving up to Durham for a Needtobreathe concert.

I’ve looked at the numbers on water bottle waste, and I know the statistics are scary. But if the facts themselves weren’t enough, this is my personal reason for choosing to reuse: I can’t say a plastic bottle has ever made me smile.

Here’s what some other girls on campus have to say about their water bottles:

“I like to use my water bottle in Winston Hall so that I can use the water fountain that tells me how many bottles I’m saving by refilling it.”  -Catherine Roach

[pagebreak] 
“I love my reusable Starbucks cup because it allows me to steal atrocious amounts of Diet Coke from the Pit.”   -Emily Snow

“I love my water bottle because I take it everywhere, so it reminds me of road trips and family that I’ve visited. It’s also super cute!”   -Becky Perry

“I love my water bottle because having a Camelback is like having a built-in straw, and I don’t have to get water from the Pit because I always carry it around.”  -Clare Rizer

“I love not having to buy plastic water bottles everywhere I go—it makes me feel eco-chic when I only get water from sinks (yes, I embrace tap water) and water fountains. I also think it’s fun to drink out of a straw … which makes me drink even more water and stay super hydrated.”   -Mae Stimpson

Jackie Swoyer is a rising senior at Wake Forest University majoring in Business and Enterprise Management, concentrating in Marketing and minoring in Economics. While her collegiate years have been spent in the Carolinas, this aspiring marketer currently calls Cincinnati, Ohio home...although she has spent years moving all over the country and beyond (including a five year period in Europe!). She is currently prepping for a summer internship in the Frito Lay Marketing Division in Plano, Texas, a new stop on her geographical repertoire. An avid reader of all things Her Campus, Jackie also loves to write, listen to Pandora, practice her cooking skills, and find live music anywhere she can.