Her Campus WFU Goes International: Intense Internships, Amazing Abroads, and Dazzling Destinations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Just because the school year has ended doesn’t mean that the Her Campus Wake Forest staff will be taking it easy this summer. You might even say that the real work begins as soon as they turn in their last exams. Summer doesn’t mean family trips to Disney World anymore. Nope. Our collegiettes™ are getting to work! From New York to South Africa, our staff is taking the world by storm this summer, working for top companies including Turner and PepsiCo.

Hot Child(s) in the City

PR Director Kate Blackburn and Campus Correspondent Hannah Kay Hunt are headed to the Big Apple this summer to work as interns. Kate landed an internship with Starkman & Associates public and investor relations firm. How did she do it? “Networking at its finest!” There is a lot of hard work ahead, of course, but come on, living in NYC for 9 weeks? Does it get any better?

Hannah Kay was chosen to work as an editorial intern with People Magazine through the American Society of Magazine Editors. Not too shabby. Well, except that her 21st birthday falls on the day before she starts work. FML. All the more reason to make it a weekend-long celebration! Once the festivities are over, she’ll be busy getting some serious hands-on experience working for the weekly publication. “The ASME People intern from last summer told me that she worked 9 a.m. to midnight on Mondays. Oh. My. Gosh. But that’s part of why I’m excited to experience the life of this mag—this is how it actually functions.”

Hakuna Matata: Staff on Safari

What could possibly be cooler than spending a summer working in NYC? How about spending a summer in Africa? Her Impact bloggers Kelly Russo and Ashley Millhouse will be heading to South Africa in a few days; Kelly will be working as a legal advocacy intern for the Southern African Media and Gender Institute in Cape Town, while Ashley will be traveling to different schools in Durban to see how teachers educate their students about the apartheid.

This will not be the first trip to Africa for this duo. They spent last summer together in South Africa on the VSC Mission of Good Hope trip. Why Africa? Ashley puts it this way: “It sounds odd to say but I really feel like I belong there.” And Kelly? “I feel in love with South Africa last summer and knew I just had to return this summer.”

No Work, All Play

Okay. So not everybody is going to be working hard this summer. We’ve all gotta have a little fun during our college years. Fortunately, summer vacation spots have matured from the Magic Kingdom to places a little more exotic. Belize, anyone?

Karleigh Ash, one of our fabulous photogs, gets to try it out! She’s traveling with her family and a high school friend to Blacaneaux Louge in the Cayo district of Belize. So. Jealous. “I’m looking forward to getting a tan and seeing all the wildlife and, most of all, getting AWESOME pictures,” gushes Karleigh. Can I come with you? Pretty please?

Belize is pretty cool, but if I could travel anywhere this summer, I’d choose Europe. Cliché, I know, but I’m obsessed—especially after watching the Royal Wedding live from London last weekend. But do I get to go? Nope. I’ll be home all summer. Not bad, but not Europe. Maybe I can tag along with writer Lauren Hunstad…

…and her family on their European cruise in August! To be exact, Greece—Athens, Nauplia, and Corfu—Kotor, Montenegro; Zadar, Croatia; and Venice, Italy. Kill me now.

How does one prepare for such an amazing summer vacation? “I am going to add some pieces to my country-club casual wardrobe for my time on the ship and research how not to look like a tourist.” Another piece of advice: sunscreen!

From tearing up the big city in New York to saving the world in Africa and traveling to exotic hot spots, the HC staff has a seriously super summer ahead of them. Whatever your plans are this summer, be sure to HAVE FUN! 

*Photography credit: Karleigh Ash

Kelsey Garvey is a junior English major at Wake Forest University. Her upbringing in Connecticut, otherwise known as country club land, inspired her to write in order to escape and locate something more. Writing has also acted as her outlet to dabble in subjects far beyond her my intellectual capacity: art, culture, design, fashion, photography, and music. Other than reading Vogue and Vanity Fair cover-to-cover, Kelsey enjoys frequenting the blogosphere, speaking franglais in daily conversation, and laughing at her own pathetic jokes. Feel free to email her with any questions or comments.