Her Campus Remembers 9/11: Where Were You?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

The terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001 were one of the first big events that our generation can remember. They forever changed America and one of its greatest cities. That day a new war began, the “War on Terror,” and the world as we knew it changed for good. So, we asked our exec team, where were you?

*Picture from Huffington Post 

Cary Sellers (News Editor) – I was in the fourth grade on September 11, 2001. The day started off like any other, just a normal class. Then, all of our teachers started acting really strange and saying that something had happened. Weirdly though, they refused to tell us what it actually was and they wouldn’t turn on the TV. At around 12pm, school was let out and parents came to pick everyone up. I knew immediately that something bad had happened when my dad was standing there with my mom. He NEVER missed work in the middle of the day when I was that age. We got home and my parents explained the situation and all I remember is crying. I was too young to understand the event, but I was not too young to remember.

Christina Sonageri (Style Blog Editor) – I was in second grade when 9/11 occurred in 2001. I live in northern New Jersey, only around 25 minutes from NYC so this event really hit home for me. A lot of people in my town and friends’ parents worked in the city and near the towers. On that day, my school was let out early and I remember seeing my mom standing outside our car in the pick-up line. She told me to find my best friend Jessica whose mom worked across the street from one of the towers. We both went home and sat in our kitchen, with the TVs off, as my mom attempted to explain to two 6 year olds what just happened. We all breathed a sigh of relief when Jessica’s mom called and told us she was alright and coming home as soon as possible. I’ll never forget that feeling but as I grew older and began to understand more, I realized that we were the lucky ones.

Kate Jacobsen (Social Media Director) – I was in second grade when 9/11 devastated our country. I was living in Philadelphia, only about a 2 hour drive from the city, and had many friends and family that lived and worked in New York. I remember watching students leave throughout the day and wondering why everyone’s parents were pulling them out of school so early. Finally, in the early afternoon during computer class, my Dad picked me up and he explained everything that had happened. “There has been a terrorist attack in New York City,” he stated in a calm voice, “Mommy and I just want to make sure you are safe.” I remember a string of thoughts running through my head. Was I safe? Did I know anyone that had been harmed? I sat in my living room with my family watching the footage of the attack in horror. To this day, I remember not feeling safe in my own house that night. I hope our country will never have to feel like that again.

Lauren Friezo (News Editor) – My mom picked me up early for a play-date. I remember riding home with Meredith, one of my primary school friends, the radio off. The sky was gray; smoke billowing in from the towers 18 miles away. Meredith and I ate Oreos and role-played Nancy Drew — one of my third grade idols. I didn’t have a clue anything was wrong. Meredith’s mom came. Her mom and my mom talked in hushed voices. When they left, my mom finally turned on the TV. My sister and I huddled in front as the silver box filled with flames. “Something terrible has happened,” she said, “but Dad is okay.” I watched the towers crumbling. To me, they looked like pieces of paper, disintegrating in the wind.

*Picture from Worldstatesman.org

Sarah Simonetti (Co-Campus Correspondent) – I actually was not awake when the Twin Towers were hit. I was living in Japan at the time so it happened in the middle of the night for me. I remember waking up in my parents’ room with my brother and not remembering how we got there. My mom was in our living room pacing, the TV blaring, on the phone trying to contact anyone she could. I had moved to Japan from New York so I realized something was happening at home. I finally saw the TV with the fire blazing and people running away so I knew something was wrong. My dad was traveling at the time, which was then why I realized my mom was frantically calling people. He ended up being just fine but was having trouble getting a flight back to Tokyo. He told me when he came home, people were in shock. He had never heard an airport that quiet before.

Taylor Brown (Assistant Treasurer) – My family and I were living in Amman, Jordan at the time of the 9/11 attacks on the Twin Towers. I was seven years old and in the 3rd grade. I don’t vividly remember the day because my parents waited to tell my brother and I about it. Since we were living in the Middle East, my parents didn’t want to frighten us. The one thing that sticks in my memory is the moment when my mom bent down to me and said “something horrible has happened.” Quickly after, our lifestyles changed. Suddenly, our safety and security was a daily concern and our life in Jordan was never the same.

Kristen Merlo (Head of Photography) – I was seven years old and in the second grade when the Twin Towers went crumbling down. I have no recollection of the school day, but I imagine that is because my teachers were trying to act like it was any other day. However, I do remember sitting in between my parents after dinner as the TV flashed “breaking news” at the bottom of the screen. I had no idea what was going on, but the news report kept replaying the plane hitting the tower. My mom instructed me to go get ready for bed, but I sneakily continued to watch from the staircase. I will never forget that day, or afterwards, as I heard my best friend’s dad was suppose to be on that flight if his meeting hadn’t been cancelled. 

*Exhibit from Newseum in Washington, DC

Cassie Brown (Co-Campus Correspondent) – I don’t have a very good memory, like most people, of when I was little. However, I vividly remember sitting in my fourth grade glass with Mrs. Zimmerman when my family friend’s mom called my name through the doorway. I remember thinking that maybe I was being picked up early from school because my family was taking me on a surprise vacation and my parents were at home finishing their packing. When I got home, I realized I was very wrong. I’ll never forget the images of the two towers collapsing just 45 minutes away on the TV screen. My mom was on the phone frantically calling her old co-workers (she worked in one of the towers before we moved to New Jersey) asking to see if everyone she knew was all right. Years later, I finally understood the severity of the situation, especially with living so close to the city. I actually always think about that day whenever I take a train into the city or fly out of Newark. It’s something that has shaped the way I view and trust the world around me.

Jasmine Linville (Treasurer) – On the tragic morning of 9/11, I was sitting in my 4th grade class in Florida.  We were working in groups on different worksheets when a 5th grade teacher barged in the room. As this 5th grade teacher whispered something to my teacher, I remember her expression changing drastically. She had a look shock and worry. The two teachers walked directly to the TV and turned the screen away from all the students. As they turned the TV on, they did not hit the mute button quite fast enough. I heard a snippet of someone talking in an urgent tone but with all the background noise, it was difficult to tell what the topic of conversation was. A fellow student raised his hand and asked why the teachers were allowed to watch TV while we had to do worksheets. My teacher replied in a calm tone, “There was an accident. A plane crash.  No need to worry though, we are safe here. Now lets pull out our social studies books please.” About five minutes into this social studies lesson, students’ parents started signing them out. By lunchtime, over half my classmates had been signed out. There were only three kids left in the classroom by the time my mom signed me out that afternoon. As I climbed into my mom’s car, I asked what was going on. Why had so many people left school early that day, was it a holiday I had forgotten about?  She carefully explained to me that something sad had happened, that earlier today many people lost their dads, moms, siblings and children. That we should keep the thoughts of these people and families in our prayers. That we should forever honor their memories and lives.  

Iris Wigodsky (Events Coordinator) – Going to an Episcopal elementary school, we had chapel every morning to start of the day. We all filed into the church, sporting identical jumpers and penny loafers, blissfully unaware of the goings-on in New York that very moment. Right after the opening hymn had been completed, we sat down as usual, only to be met by our principal instead of the familiar priest. I can’t imagine the difficulty of explaining what had happened to a church full of children, no one older than thirteen, but Mrs. Smith seemed to manage it. All I remember is being extraordinarily confused, followed by a blur in the carpool line of tearful parents and questioning kids. I have been to thousands of those chapel services, but that one twelve years ago I will always remember.

Cassie Brown

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for Campus Cutie. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Journalism and Communication. Expected graduation in May 2014.