HC Wake Forest’s Guide to Acing Recruitment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Recruitment.The mere mention of the word can incite anxiety in even the most confident of girls. Each comes into this iconic week with a different level of knowledge and expectations. For some, recruitment is a completely foreign concept. If your parents, relatives or friends didn’t go Greek, how are you supposed to anticipate what’s to come?

But for others, the sorority experience has been ingrained since childhood. They were raised by the women who still keep their sorority pin in a cushioned box and sing a chant or two around the house while doing chores. I come from a family more aligned with the latter, knowing since middle school that there was no other option but to go Greek your freshman year.

Yet, while I came into the process better prepared than some of my hallmates, there was still a rollercoaster of emotions that even a phone call to mom couldn’t necessarily fix. So how does one shed the layer of anxiety and dominate the recruitment process? Here are some tips to help your recruitment week go off without a hitch! 

Get lots of rest!

Recruitment week is exhausting on both sides, but for girls going through the process for the first time, lack of sleep can induce even more stress than the parties themselves. The amount of talking and walking you will do requires a hefty amount of energy, so this isn’t the time to have sleepovers with friends until 3 a.m. I would even encourage you and your friends to participate in a low-key activity at night, such as a movie, to save your voice for the following day.

Eat healthy.

The cafeteria isn’t open during rush week, so most girls go for the easy and cheap pizza delivery option. That’s fine for one night, but the last thing you want is to feel bloated after eating junk food for five days straight. If you have trouble finding ways to feed yourself without the Pit, get your hall together for a ‘home-cooked’ meal. Chip in for groceries and assign everyone a food item to prepare. You’ll have a wonderful time laughing with friends over your mediocre cooking skills, and it’s a great way to release some of the tension built up over the course of the week. Oh and P.S., The Loop delivers if you spend over $20 … definitely a useful bit of townie knowledge.

Keep your look simple and stylish.

It’s difficult to know what to wear to each party, given that each day requires a different type of outfit. But my advice to each girl is to dress to impress, but don’t go overboard. Don’t wear what you think people want to see, but instead, wear what defines your personal style. Also, keep jewelry simple and classic. A good pair of pearl earrings or a singular silver bangle goes a long way. To make sure girls remember you, opt for a bold print or bright pop of color – you’ll catch everyone’s eye!

Keep an open mind.

It’s impossible to go into recruitment week without any expectations, but I would strongly suggest that you enter the process with an open mind. I started the week with a favorite sorority and was disappointed when they cut me the first day. Unfortunately, the truth is that a feeling of rejection often accompanies the recruitment process at some point. But if you remain positive, there is no reason why you shouldn’t end the week with 100 new friends and a sorority to call home. I am thrilled with how my recruitment week ended because, two years later, I couldn’t picture myself anywhere else. Your week might not go as expected, but it’s best to always keep a clear head and open mind.

Be comfortable and confident with who you are!

I think I speak for every sorority girl when I say that you should be yourself 100% while going through recruitment. You’re only hurting your chances by acting like someone you’re not. Girls can often see through a façade and you might end up in a sorority that’s wrong for you if you put on a false front. It’s not possible for one girl to mesh with every sorority, so don’t try to “adjust” to fit their stereotype. It’s so much easier to talk to a girl who is being natural. After all, you want to end up in the sorority that fits you best.

Ask Questions!

It can be exhausting to talk to a girl who doesn’t engage in the conversation, so don’t be afraid to ask your own questions! It shows that you are interested and on top of your game. Also, after hosting so many parties, it’s nice for the sorority girl to have a break from having to introduce new topics. She’ll be relieved that you’re making an effort!

Be Selfish!

The purpose of recruitment week is to find the right sorority for you! So don’t be afraid to go with your gut! Your intuition is one of your strongest assets, so don’t get caught up in the gossip and hearsay from other girls going through the process. Each girl is unique, so don’t feel pressured to pick a place because a friend is going there. Just because she feels comfortable at a certain sorority doesn’t mean you will. You don’t want to be wondering on bid day if you made the right decision! No one knows you better than yourself, so trust your instincts! Be open to meeting new people and finding a place to call home, complete with girls from every grade!

Enjoy time with the girls!

This is the only time that Wake will be overrun with estrogen, so enjoy campus without the distraction of boys! Even though we love them, this is a time to bond with your friends and meet the women who will eventually become your ‘sisters.’ No school, no bros, just fun!

I hope these tips prove helpful, as recruitment week can be a great unknown. But stay positive, stay healthy and get ready to enjoy a truly wonderful ride! The end result will be such a treat! 

Allison is a junior at Wake Forest University and is pursuing a communication major and journalism minor. She is from Libertyville, IL and is excited to be a part of the Her Campus team! Besides working on Her Campus WF, Allison is a tour guide, a member of Kappa Delta sorority, and a member of the Wake Forest chapter of Mortar Board. She would love to work in magazines after graduation next year.