HC’s Top 10 All-Time Favorite Christmas Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

There are 3 things that come to mind the day after Thanksgiving: excessive amounts of leftovers, Black Friday and Christmas movies! It seems every year, more and more films come out based on that holly, jolly holiday when Santa brings all the good little girls and boys presents on his magic sleigh. Unfortunately, the choices are getting slimmer and slimmer as far as “quality” Christmas flicks go. No worries, collegiettes™, because we’ve compiled the top 10 best Christmas movies (in no particular order) to add to your collection this holiday season!

Elf

We all learned the truth about Santa a long time ago, but for those of us who still want to believe, take the advice of Buddy the Elf. First, stick to the four main food groups: candy, candy canes, candy corns and syrup. Second, sing aloud to spread Christmas cheer. Finally, smile, because smiling’s your favorite!

Ghosts of Girlfriends Past

‘Twas the night before the wedding, and all through the house, not a creature was stirring except for the ghosts of Connor Mead’s ex-girlfriends.’ Based Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol, this film may not be a traditional holiday flick, but there is no shortage of snow or Scrooge-ness to put you in the Christmas spirit. Plus you get to see Matthew McConaughey shirtless. Merry Christmas.

Love Actually

What better way to spend Christmas Eve than in London with the likes of Colin Firth, Hugh Grant, Liam Neeson, Keira Knightley and Emma Thompson? Look no further than the comfort of your couch and a cup of hot cocoa. And don’t forget to over-order the drinks and bulk-buy the guacamole!

How the Grinch Stole Christmas

‘Inside a snowflake like the one on your sleeve, there happened a story you must see to believe.’ Jim Carrey brings Dr. Seuss’ infamous green Scrooge to life, learning the true meaning of Christmas from little Cindy Lou Who (aka Taylor Momsen pre-Gossip Girl and excessive black liner).

The Santa Claus Trilogy

You can’t have a Christmas movie marathon without watching Tim Allen in The Santa Claus one, two and three. First the real Santa dies on his roof. Next, Tim Allen gains a bunch of weight and grows a white beard. Later, he makes his son’s school principal his missus, and finally, he saves the North Pole from plastic evil Santa. Weird, maybe, but truly a classic!

Home Alone

How stupid do you have to be to accidentally leave your 9-year-old son at home for Christmas? Well, we’re glad the McCallisters aren’t the sharpest knives in the drawer, because we wouldn’t have the pleasure of watching little Kevin bully-whip two nimrod burglars. This movie made us all wish our parents would forget about us so we could eat junk food and watch rubbish home all alone!

[pagebreak]

A Christmas Story

An oldie but a goodie, this Christmas movie never goes out of style. From a leggie table lamp to a bright pink bunny outfit, this movie is full of surprises and quotable moments that have earned this film a spot in the Christmas hall of fame. And most importantly, it taught us all the dangers of licking a frozen pole: don’t try this at home.

It’s a Wonderful Life

‘You want the moon, Mary?’ Yes please! “It’s a Wonderful Life” is the epitome of a classic Christmas movie. Jimmy Stewart plays a greedy businessman too caught up in work to spend time with his family, but when an angel visits him when he’s hit rock-bottom, he begins to learn what’s important in life. Watch this one with the whole family, young and old, and get ready to love this holiday classic.

Jack Frost

If you haven’t seen this movie yet, grab your tissue box. Jack Frost, while it has its fair share of funny moments, will make you cry every time. What’s so sad about a man that turns into a snowman you may ask? Just watch the movie. And keep the Kleenex handy.

I’ll Be Home for Christmas

Three words: Jonathan. Taylor. Thomas. And collegiettes™, we can all relate to this movie: a college kid going home for Christmas, torn between seeing his family and spending time with his significant other—played by Jessica Biel. This is the perfect flick to watch on the plane ride home in December.

Deck the halls (and your movie collection) with these top 10 Christmas movies! Once exams are over, and you’re home again home again jiggedy-jig, you’ll have lots of time to lounge on the couch by the fire with the remote and your favorite holiday flicks!

*Photography by Elise Wallace

Jackie Swoyer is a rising senior at Wake Forest University majoring in Business and Enterprise Management, concentrating in Marketing and minoring in Economics. While her collegiate years have been spent in the Carolinas, this aspiring marketer currently calls Cincinnati, Ohio home...although she has spent years moving all over the country and beyond (including a five year period in Europe!). She is currently prepping for a summer internship in the Frito Lay Marketing Division in Plano, Texas, a new stop on her geographical repertoire. An avid reader of all things Her Campus, Jackie also loves to write, listen to Pandora, practice her cooking skills, and find live music anywhere she can.