HC How-To: Perfect Partying Before, During, and After

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Partying at Wake Forest is obviously one of the biggest aspects of our social lives. Whether you drink or not, it’s pretty likely that you’ve frequented at least a few frat parties. And somehow, the morning-after-blues always catch up to us… the “wow, I wish I hadn’t done that”/ “last night was so embarrassing”/ “I can never show my face there again!” blues.  The fact of the matter is it’s a pretty inescapable part of going out. You mix sleep-deprived, type-A workaholics with coolers filled with punch, and before you know it you’ve got the perfect set-up for some regrettable party decisions!

So here’s the good news – I’m here to help! Partying is inescapable, and hello? It’s pretty fun! By no means am I saying to give up on a fun night out altogether, instead, I am going to take you through the three basic components of partying over the next few weeks: the “before”, the “during”, and the “after”. Before you know it, you’ll be partying like the savvy, smart, sexy collegiette™you know you are…but this time, everyone else will know it too!

Now that’s some perfect pre-gaming!

Perfect Partying: The Before
One of my personal favorite parts of going out on the weekends is pre-gaming with my girlfriends. Unfortunately, it’s also one of trickiest parts. The combination of getting-ready insecurities, fast-consumption of alcohol, and typically all-girl environments can create some…tense…atmospheres. But don’t worry! There are tons of easy tweaks you can make to your pre-game routine to ensure it sets you and your girls up for a fun and fabulous evening out.

1. Set up tricky logistics ahead of time.  One of the main things my girlfriends and I quibble over are the petty details like where we are meeting to pregame or who’s driving. We end up scrambling to figure stuff out last minute, and inevitably someone ends up feeling like they are being taken advantage of by their friends. I know it’s a familiar struggle, but I have two simple words that I promise will make all of your lives infinitely easier: TAKE TURNS. I know it’s a kindergarten principle, but seriously, regulating your pregames by this simple method works. Apply it to everythin,g from who’s buying the chasers to who’s picking up the girls in Student Apps. Keep track of who did what when, and use that to decide whose turn it is next. If you and your usual group have a sober, relaxed conversation about everyone doing their share, no one will feel jilted or surprised when it’s their turn to pay for the night’s margarita mix.
  2. Get dressed BEFORE.  Hey, I am one of the world’s biggest proponents for swapping clothes, but please, please, please do it before. I can’t tell you how many times my friends’ pregames have been ruined by arguments over who is wearing whose clothes once you’re 3 shots deep. Plus, no one likes to find what outfits flatter them best in front of a group of 6 or more intoxicated girls. Just not a recipe for feeling your best. Attending or hosting a pregame when you’re half-dressed and scrambling to find your favorite skinny jeans after a couple mixed drinks just isn’t the right way to start out your night. So do it before! Get dressed with your roommate or best friend…a small group you feel super comfortable with. And that one friend of yours who always seems to need your wedges last-minute? Have her text you earlier in the afternoon.
  3. Avoid body bashing.  Nothing creates a worse pre-game atmosphere that circling into that inevitable “I’m fat” trap. Okay, I get it, we’re college girls – being extra scrutinous of ourselves is perfectly natural. To be honest, I do it all the time. But getting ready to go out and drink after staring in the mirror in front of your friends pinching your sides for thirty minutes is only going to lead to a bad night. Believe me. When you’re pregaming, it’s all about positivity! It’s hard, I know, but try and compliment your friends and yourself if you’re feeling gross before a party. My friends and I have recently started trying to say something positive about ourselves every time a negative comment comes out during a pregame. It seems corny, but I swear it works! And if nothing else, looking your girls in the face and saying “I really love my collarbone” will definitely get you away from the mirror, and back to laughing!
  4. Don’t drink too much!!  Um, hello? It’s a pre-game. Pre. That implies there’s an after! Try you’re best to avoid that ever-alluring temptation to down 7 shots before you even call the pledge driver. I’ve been guilty of the old “well I just won’t drink when I’m actually out” line. Don’t fall for it! If you’re binge drinking through the whole pregame, there is zero chance you’ll be controlling what you drink at the actual party. Pre-games are meant to be casual, fun, and most importantly preparatory! If you’re like me and have been known to get carried away with your girls, switch from shots to mixed drinks! My friends and I have done margarita nights, “Sex on the Beach” nights, you name it. The trick with mixed drinks is that they allow you to control how much booze you’re actually putting in your cup. That way, you’ll pace yourself in a responsible way, and still have an amazing time doing it.

So that’s it! Four easy-to-implement tricks that I promise will have you enjoying your pre-games while partying smart. The right pre-game sets up the tone for your whole night…so make it the best possible! Now that’s perfect partying.

*This is the first of a three-part series exploring the safe and fun ways to party – before, during, and after.

Ellie Baldini

Wake Forest

Ellie Baldini is a senior at Wake Forest University majoring in Communication and minoring in Journalism. A born-and-bred Jersey girl with three younger sisters, Ellie is considers herself a girl's girl, through and through.Currently, Ellie is the Editorial Campus Correspondent of HerCampus, Wake Forest, and the PR intern at the Wake Forest University School of Law. She is also a staff writer for the Life section of the WFU student newspaper, the Old Gold & Black. She has interned previously with a local event planner, and also has work experience at a commercial real estate firm.Ellie's primary passion is writing, closely followed by reading. While she prefers contemporary fiction writers, like Alice Hoffman, she is also a big fan of Ken Follett and Jane Austen. Ellie's favorite book is The Secret History by Donna Tartt. A self-described coffee addict, cat-lover, and a secret tabloid-reader, Ellie firmly believes in finding the silver lining in every situation.After graduation (or at least someday!), Ellie dreams of moving to New York and free-lance writing.
Kelsey Garvey is a junior English major at Wake Forest University. Her upbringing in Connecticut, otherwise known as country club land, inspired her to write in order to escape and locate something more. Writing has also acted as her outlet to dabble in subjects far beyond her my intellectual capacity: art, culture, design, fashion, photography, and music. Other than reading Vogue and Vanity Fair cover-to-cover, Kelsey enjoys frequenting the blogosphere, speaking franglais in daily conversation, and laughing at her own pathetic jokes. Feel free to email her with any questions or comments.