Haute & Healthy: Do’s and Don’t’s for Staying Healthy at the “New Pit”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Whatever you call it (I’ve heard New Pit, the Tip, North Pit, etc.), Wake’s new North Dining Hall (henceforth NDH) offers students a wide variety of fruits, vegetables, sandwiches and grill items as well as a bountiful study space in a warm, inviting environment. As with any dining spot on campus, though, it’s possible to make unhealthy eating choices. As a daily visitor and self-proclaimed lover of the NDH, I’ve come up with a few ways to get the most out of this hotspot while still eating clean and healthy – especially with spring break (and swimsuit season) right around the corner!

The North Dining Hall, which opened in January, provides more study space and food options for students. Image from news.wfu.edu

1.    Start making your plate on the right side first. 

On this side you’ll find a salad bar and the fruit selection. There are salad bowls to fill up, cut fruit to enjoy and apples, oranges and bananas towards the end of the line. By starting here, you’ll give yourself more healthy greens and fruits and leave less room on your plate for chips or hamburgers. 

2.    Avoid pre-made plates or bowls 

Usually, towards the left of the grill, there are ready-made portions of stir-fry, potatoes or mac and cheese, for example. These are easy and quick options but are usually loaded with sodium and oil. If you’re craving something hot, ask for a grilled chicken breast from the Home & Grill. 

3.    Don’t go crazy with hummus

The general consensus (or maybe just my general consensus) is that hummus is an amazing, God-sent spread that can and should be eaten with anything. The NDH has indulged and enabled my obsession by literally using an ice-cream scooper to serve me my favorite flavors of hummus. While hummus is better for you than ketchup or ranch, it still contains both sodium and fat. Ask for a half-scoop to avoid feeling bloated after your meal. 

A breakdown of the calories in the average serving of hummus.

Bonus Tip for staying healthy: Steer clear of the POD if you’re studying late-night in NDH! It’s too easy to go in with good intentions and leave with a bag of chocolate covered pretzels and Swedish Fish. Grab a couple apples or bananas in the NDH if you know you’ll be studying for a while, and keep a full water bottle around to stay hydrated.

Remember Deacons – spring break (and beach season) is only getting closer! By eating right and exercising you could be flaunting that bod in no time. 

Hannah Storey

Wake Forest

Cassie Brown

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for Campus Cutie. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Journalism and Communication. Expected graduation in May 2014.