Happy V-Day Ladies!: My Funny Valentine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Valentine’s Day has arrived! For some it brings resentment and others excitement, but this year I’m embracing the red and pink. Why? I’ve finally realized just how great the relationship in my life is – and no, I’m not talking about some special guy. My valentine is my twin sister Katie because, for me, that’s a relationship worth celebrating.  So why focus on a guy this year, when I have this amazing girl in my life? With 19 years of great memories, it’s about time I show off this love to the world.    

To put it simply, Katie is my other half. Yes, you could say this relationship got serious fast. As young twin girls, our matching bows and dresses bonded us early. But just like many relationships, we’ve faced our hardships. I would say August after senior year was definitely our biggest test. College came around, and the reality hit us hard. All of a sudden I was at Wake, and Katie was at Tulane. As in any separation, the first few weeks were rough with busy schedules, never-ending phone tag, and brief texts.

After a while, Katie and I found a balance between school, extra-curriculars, and Skype dates. There are now phone calls every day, and on Sunday there are always the post-weekend stories that usually send me into fits of laughter. No one in this world can make me laugh as hard as my sassy and confident sister, and every phone call reminds me of this fact.  Our ridiculous banter and constant sarcasm has survived all thanks to our cell phones.  If you are entering a long distance relationship, I have one piece of advice – get a good cell phone plan. 

Although, Katie and I may not be curled up on the couch at home delving into bowls of ice cream anymore, our chat dates offer great comfort, and ice cream still tastes just as amazing in Winston-Salem as it did in my living room. And of course, there are the little surprises and gifts that keep any relationship interesting. Just last week when I was sick, I received a small package of Kleenex in the mail with a short message of “these are really soft, enjoy!” The quirky gift was a great way to remind me why I love my twin sister so much and how lucky I am to have her.

So this Valentine’s Day, you won’t see me cringing at the sight of candy hearts and stuffed teddy bears because I have some serious celebrating to do. Katie and I have made it work with hundreds of miles between us. How amazing is that? So, happy Valentine’s Day to my incredible twin sister and remember that love really does conquer all. I’ve got the proof.

Kelsey Garvey is a junior English major at Wake Forest University. Her upbringing in Connecticut, otherwise known as country club land, inspired her to write in order to escape and locate something more. Writing has also acted as her outlet to dabble in subjects far beyond her my intellectual capacity: art, culture, design, fashion, photography, and music. Other than reading Vogue and Vanity Fair cover-to-cover, Kelsey enjoys frequenting the blogosphere, speaking franglais in daily conversation, and laughing at her own pathetic jokes. Feel free to email her with any questions or comments.