Graduate in Style: What to Wear Under Your Robe!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

When I write fashion articles, I usually draw inspiration from my own wardrobe, what I’ve read about in other magazines or cute things I’ve seen my friends wearing. But when one of our most loyal readers recently asked Her Campus for some fashion advice for graduation day, I realized I was utterly clueless! I’m a sophomore – graduation is a long way away for me. So I sought out the experts: two fashionista Wake alumsthat work in some of our favorite boutiques in Reynolda Village. They both had tons of great advice and showed me some super cute options for what to wear under your robe on graduation day!

Our first stop was J. McLaughlin, where alumna Sara Peyton McCormick told me, “It was 1,000 degrees on the day of our graduation. Some people even wore tank tops and shorts and changed afterwards – it was just that hot!” Of course, there’s no need to go to that extreme. Sara showed me some cute dresses that definitely combine fashion and comfort for the big day. She recommends a look that’s trendy but still professional; this is your first day as a “real adult”, after all!

This halter dress has a fun shape and an adorable blue pattern. It’s made out of a breathable, stretchy material – perfect for a hot day! The white belt completes the look, with a cinched waist to make you look extra tiny! An added bonus: this dress has a built in bra. SO convenient!
Dress and belt by J. McLaughlin

This strapless ribbon dress has such fun colors, and it even incorporates some good ‘ole gold and black in its color scheme! Its simple shape won’t be bulky under your gown, and it’s so versatile, so you could dress it up with heels or down with sandals.
Dress by J. McLaughlin

Over at Monkee’s I met up with Jess Triplett, another Wake alumna who had tons of good advice for choosing the perfect graduation day ensemble. She also mentioned the oppressive heat on the day of her graduation. She said that the robes themselves are really thick and hot, so she recommends cotton dresses to keep you cool. When it comes to the style of the dress, she said it’s nice to go a little more structured and dressier than your typical tailgating/Carolina Cup dress. Graduation is a more formal event, and many grads go out to a nice meal with their families after the ceremony (“MAKE RESERVATIONS!”, she warned!). Jess also gave advice on footwear: “For my graduation, I did wear heels, but it was a chunky heel so I didn’t sink into the grass. Wedges are a good idea, because it is on the Quad.” 

The one-shoulder look is super in right now. Printed with a fun pattern that’s not too over-the-top, this dress is definitely a winner. Paired with wedge heels and a classic charm bracelet, this look is sophisticated and perfect for the occasion.
Dress and Shoes by Diane Von Furstenberg
Bracelet by John Wind

This fun embroidered dress is made entirely of cotton, which will keep you cool under that heavy robe. The bright flowered shoe adds a pop of color, and it’s flat, keeping the look both comfortable and a bit more casual, if that’s more your style. To make the look a bit fancier, add some dainty jewelry, like this updated version of a classic: a pearl necklace with a gold pendant. Gold bangles tie it all together.
Dress by Beth Bowley
Shoes by Kate Spade
Necklace and Bangles by Susan Shaw

This dress pairs such fun colors with a sophisticated neckline to keep the look oh-so grown-up. Its cotton material will keep you from getting overheated, but trust us: you’ll LOOK hot in this number! The wedges prevent you from sinking into the ground, and the gold monogram necklace and charm bracelet match the detailing on the shoes.
Dress by Shoshanna
Shoes by Tory Burch
Necklace and Bracelet by Moon and Lola

So there you have it – plenty of options for the perfect graduation day outfit! Hopefully all you soon-to-be-ex-collegiettes™have found some inspiration for an outfit totally your style for the big day. 

Kelsey Garvey is a junior English major at Wake Forest University. Her upbringing in Connecticut, otherwise known as country club land, inspired her to write in order to escape and locate something more. Writing has also acted as her outlet to dabble in subjects far beyond her my intellectual capacity: art, culture, design, fashion, photography, and music. Other than reading Vogue and Vanity Fair cover-to-cover, Kelsey enjoys frequenting the blogosphere, speaking franglais in daily conversation, and laughing at her own pathetic jokes. Feel free to email her with any questions or comments.