Freshman Problems: Back Home Mysteries

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

In light of Family Weekend, seeing all the parents and siblings on campus, I was reminded about how much I miss home and my own family. Yes, college is an absolute blast, as I imagined it would be, but it’s hard to imagine that my high school and hometown back in New Jersey are still operating without me. It feels like life back at home was put on hold – the upcoming seniors forever frozen as juniors, my car untouched, and my dogs just patiently waiting at the door for me to arrive. This is the longest time that most freshmen have been away from home, and it’s been plenty of time for me to wonder about what life back home has been like without me there. Family Weekend got me thinking …

Do I still know how to drive? Let’s just say if you asked me right now if I knew which pedal was the gas and which was the brake, I’d have to get back to you.

Has my room turned into a storage unit or personal gym yet? My mom has a LOT of holiday decorations, not enough space, and a currently unused bedroom. You do the math.

You’re telling me that I don’t have to wear shoes in the shower at home? Questioning whether or not my brain will be able to distinguish between a public shower and the one at home. Regardless, I can’t wait to sing my lil’ heart out in the shower at home.

When I come back, I’ll still be large and in charge at my high school, right? Don’t tell me those juniors became seniors when I left … Impossible.

How did I ever get up at 6 AM for high school? I can’t quite put my finger on when 9 AM began to feel like 6 AM, and I still am 100% puzzled on how I woke up at 6 AM, five days a week for four years.

Will my mom’s meals count as a pit swipe or an old gold? Food from home, including a stocked pantry, that requires no swipes or food dollars means a very happy stomach.

Do my dogs miss me as much as I miss them? Why do we get so excited when we see puppies on campus!? Because our dogs and pets back home are what we miss more than anything else.

Come Thanksgiving, some of these mysteries will be solved, but until then, I’m finding my own pieces of home here at Wake to help keep these questions in check. 

*Cover image from cnn.com
Julia Purdy

Wake Forest

From Mendham, New Jersey, Julia Purdy is 18 & a freshman at Wake Forest. A devoted fan of Grey's Anatomy & a golfer, Julia enjoys spending her summers on Nantucket, Massachusetts with her brothers and cousins. Although being away from her 2 Labrador Retrievers is a heartache like no other, she is thrilled to be spending her days in the Forest. Go deacs!