Frannie Speer (’11)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Name: Frannie Tanham Speer (’11)

Hometown: Augusta, Georgia

Major: Economics with Entrepreneurship

Nicknames: Referred to as “Frannie T” in elementary school and “Fran-Tan” in high school, though neither caught on at Wake. Current faves include “Fran,” “Frances,” “Franstar,” “Franster,” “Francie,” “Franji” – need we continue?

Her Campus (HC): Which of your nicknames do you actually respond to?
Frannie Speer (FS): Basically anything that includes “Fran.”

HC: What are you involved in on campus?
FS: I intern in the Office of Sustainability, am now an alumna of Delta Delta Delta sorority and I helped run the RSVP and guest list for the Emily Giffin event hosted by Her Campus, among other things.

HC: What do you do in the Office of Sustainability?
FS: I’m the “Choose to Reuse” intern, so my main responsibility is to run the campaign about awareness of sustainability.  On Monday, April 25, we are holding a Choose to Reuse celebration which will be everyone’s final opportunity to get a reusable bottle, and seniors will be able to sign the green graduation pledge and receive a free reusable travel mug. 

HC: How did you help coordinate the Emily Giffin Event?
FS: I was one of the people in charge of managing the guest list which included all of the RSVPs and signing everyone into the event, and since 100 people RSVPed in the first hour, it became a little more stressful than anticipated.

HC: Who is a powerful female figure you idolize?
FS: Ivanka Trump – she’s gorgeous, she’s brilliant, she’s powerful and she has a really cute husband that I want to marry.  I would totally convert to Judaism just for him.  Just kidding, but not really.

HC: What’s your favorite Pit station?
FS: Absolutely the station with the taco salads and the Greek salad wraps.  It’s the best thing that’s happened to the Pit.

HC: Which Disney Princess are you and why?
FS: I think I’m more of a Disney sidekick, like Scuttle the seagull in The Little Mermaid.  He’s a little random and peculiar, but he’s funny and cares a lot about his friends.

HC: Did you study abroad, and if so, where?
FS: I studied abroad in London fall semester of my junior year, where I worked at L’Oreal.  I wish I was still there.

HC: What was your favorite part of London?
FS: My favorite thing in London was Borough Market.  It’s this gigantic food market where you go around and taste different cheeses, chutneys and pesto.  It’s definitely my happy place.

HC: As a senior if you could give any advice to underclassmen, what would you say?
FS: Really go out and explore what Winston has to offer.  Downtown is totally growing and is really cool, and it took me a while to realize how fun it actually is.  There are so many great restaurants and bars.

HC: Would you rather fart out loud on a silent floor in ZSR or trip and fall flat on your face in the Pit?
FS: That’s curious . . . I’ve already fallen flat on my face all over campus, i.e. like sophomore year when I fell all the time and had bandages everywhere and stiches on my foot.  I’d still say I would rather trip than fart – no harm, no foul.

HC: Brynn’s, Zack’s or Wolfies?
FS: I’ve totally been to all of them, however, my loyalty will always lie with Zack’s since they’ve been there the longest, and there’s really nothing better than carrot cake and cake batter.

HC: Have you ever broken a bone?
FS: I didn’t think I broke a bone, but then I went to my sinus doctor and realized I had a broken nose from where I fell off the monkey bars in fifth grade. Who knew?

HC: What is the best costume you’ve ever worn?
FS: I wore a deviled egg costume for the themed function “It Starts with a D.”

HC: Who is your favorite Wake idol?
FS: I am actually obsessed with Arnold Palmer. I cry whenever I see him on TV.  I think he’s the most precious human being in the entire world.  I’m totally naming my next dog Arnie.  

Kelsey Garvey is a junior English major at Wake Forest University. Her upbringing in Connecticut, otherwise known as country club land, inspired her to write in order to escape and locate something more. Writing has also acted as her outlet to dabble in subjects far beyond her my intellectual capacity: art, culture, design, fashion, photography, and music. Other than reading Vogue and Vanity Fair cover-to-cover, Kelsey enjoys frequenting the blogosphere, speaking franglais in daily conversation, and laughing at her own pathetic jokes. Feel free to email her with any questions or comments.