Forest Fads: Nike Fuel Band

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Welcome, Her Campers Collegiettes, to the first edition of Forest Fads! This blog will be dedicated to informing our hip and trendy audience about equally cool gadgets, food recipes, restaurants, events, clothes… essentially, anything that you’re reading on Pinterest we want to talk about here. So, let’s dive into our first product review of the year!

Between the “all you can eat” selection at the Pit and those late night Subway runs following (presumably) several cups of frat punch, you may find those unwanted pounds piling on. “How can this be?” you ask yourself in frustration, “I exercise more than that girl that eats two hamburgers a day!” But, are you really moving around as much as you think you are?

With the intense workload at the Forest, many of us spend hours sitting in the library and do not partake in an adequate amount of movement per day. And, sure, maybe that Starbucks pastry and Pumpkin Spice Latte combination wasn’t the best decision; but you still don’t understand how the dreaded Freshman 15 came upon you so fast. Fear not, ladies! The answer to your frustration and the solution to your problem are found in a single, solitary device: The Nike Fuel Band.

Basically, the Nike Fuel Band is a watch that tracks your steps and counts the amount of calories you intake each day. It also calculates the amount of “fuel” you use in a day. What is “fuel” you may ask? It is the calculation of the value of movement you make in a day. This calculation allows you to compare your different activities (i.e. walking to class, taking the stairs vs. elevator, running the Reynolda trails) and see which activity creates the most fuel. This calculation is not based on your weight, height or gender, but simply is the result of how much you move. The calculation is slightly more advanced and involved algorithms and oxyegen intake, therefore I urge you to go the product’s website, if you’re interested in the science and technology behind this awesome product.

Now that you know what activities create more fuel, you can set a goal for yourself on the watch. This goal will help to motivate you to move more in order to achieve your temporal goal. The watch then syncs to your phone allowing you to check and track your progress by day, week, and month or even by year on any iOS device. This application serves as a great motivator to get you moving, and can be a real eye-opener to how much you are actually sitting around. You also have the opportunity to share your achievements on a leaderboard; therefore, you allow the greatest motivator of all – competition – literally to fuel your fuel. The cutest part is, when you reach your goal, you get a little congratulatory message!

So grab a Nike Fuel Band and get moving, collegiettes. And stay tuned for more Forest Fads! 

*Article by Ashley Dassa 

Ashley Dassa

Wake Forest

Cassie Brown

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for Campus Cutie. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Journalism and Communication. Expected graduation in May 2014.