This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

There is something about college football that is inexplicable. The excitement it brings and the environment it creates is second to none. Friday was Wake Forest’s first game back at full capacity, and it was not something that any student or fan wanted to miss.

The Demon Deacons were set to play Old Dominion, a team that did not play last year because of COVID and one that pales in comparison to Wake Forest. Going into the game, Wake was predicted to win by 31.5 points, making it a must-win for the Demon Deacons. Yet what was exciting about the game was not just the game itself, but everything the environment surrounding it. Student tailgates were back with hundreds of college kids running to hug one another, take pictures, dance to music, and stuff their faces with the delicious food provided at the stadium. In the front of the stadium, there was a fan zone for kids and families to play games and meet the Demon Deacon. Inside the stadium, the food trucks lined the entrance, selling delicious options such as falafels, rice bowls, Chik-Fil-A, and Domino’s.

At the beginning of the game, there were a million things to see. The dance and cheer teams marched on the field with their new members, making their presence known. At the same time, there was a painter who painted the Demon Deacon with his hands in under two minutes. The class of 2025 was celebrated by being able to run out on the field. Led by the basketball team, they sprinted out in front of the crowd with their new t-shirts, overwhelmed with excitement to be part of the electric crowd. After that, President Wente herself rode out on the back of the motorcycle with the Demon Deacon, waving to the crowd.

It was a spectacle to be seen and the excitement was enchanting after a year of craziness. Wake Forest covered the spread, beating Old Dominion 42-10 and making a statement at the first game back. The excitement of football with fans in the stadium and all the events could not be replaced. The students’ section was packed (at least for the first half), and there was an energy in the air that was undeniable. It is only week one and there is so much excitement yet to come.

Colleen Condon

Wake Forest '23

Hi I am Colleen Condon and I am a sophomore at Wake Forest University! I am majoring in Psychology and Communication with a minor in Entrepreneurship. I am from the suburbs of Chicago and love participating in HerCampus. I am super into sports, playing soccer and basketball in high school and now playing club basketball in college. I am also interested in wellness. As a pescatarian and an avid gym attendee I am always looking for ways to better myself!