Foodie: Tasty Pit Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Greek Salad

A traditional Greek Salad consists of chopped veggies, olives, feta cheese, olive oil and balsamic, and a sprinkle of fresh oregano. Skip the tasteless romaine and fatty Greek Dressing for this delicious combo! The Pit may not have any fresh herbs, but all the other components are there if you look in the right places. It makes a fresh lunch, side dish at dinner, or even an entire meal with some added chicken from the Deacon Grill or Turkey from the Deli.

From the Omelet Station: Feta cheese + Olives

From the Salad Bar:  Tomato + Cucumber + Red Onion + Green Pepper + Olive oil + Balsamic Vinegar

Directions: Combine all your ingredients in a bowl, drizzle on your dressings, mix, and enjoy

Coffee Frappe

If you’re anything like me, you enjoy a smooth, rich, coffee dessert every once in a while. And who doesn’t secretly wish they could order a coffee frappe every time they’re at Starbucks? Skip the lines and head to the pit, where the Starbucks coffee and soft serve ice cream have you covered.

Directions: Grab a tall plastic cup and fill it with your desired amount of coffee, let it cool for a couple minutes, then add vanilla soft serve (or, if you’re feeling like a little mocha action, add chocolate too). The ratio of coffee to ice cream is your preference — it depends on your desired thickness and strength of coffee flavor. My ideal ratio is 2 parts coffee to 1 part ice cream.

Pesto Chicken Panini

I haven’t met too many collegiettes who don’t enjoy a good panini. What’s not to love? Crusty, warm, grilled bread; melted cheese; PESTO…you simply cannot go wrong. Next time you’re craving one of these bad boys, create it in the Pit. It requires a few different stops, and the potential for waiting in some lines, but I promise you’ll know with the first bite of your masterpiece that it was worth all the hardship. Here’s what you need:

From the Deacon Grill: Grilled Chicken

From the Deacon Deli: Bread ~ Ciabatta is undoubtedly the best though

Cheese ~ Provolone has a mild flavor and melts very well, making it the best choice

Optional veggies ~ I like a little tomato on mine, and if you’re looking for some green, spinach is a great addition as well

Pesto ~ Tell that Pit worker not to be shy, Pesto is what makes this sandwich utterly divine

From the Salad Bar: Balsamic vinaigrette ~ Drizzle a little of this right on the top piece of bread. It rounds out the flavors of the panini with some acidity

Press your creation in the panini presses by the Deli until the bread is crusty, the cheese is melted, and you simply cannot wait to eat any longer. Enjoy!

Chickpea Salad

Chickpeas are a great source of protein, but they really don’t taste like anything on their own. A delicious option for a healthy side dish or salad topper is mixing them with some chopped veggies, dressing, salt, and pepper. Here’s what you’ll need:

From the Omelet Station: Chopped bell peppers + chopped scallion (green onion)

From the Salad Bar: Chickpeas + olive oil + vinegar (balsamic and red wine vinegar both work, so use whichever you prefer or is available–it’s usually balsamic)

Directions: Mix all your ingredients in a bowl, add a little salt and pepper, and enjoy!  

Ice Cream Sandwich

Who needs Mrs. Fields when the Pit provides all the necessary components of the perfect ice cream sandwich? Just make sure you make it to the dessert table before all the cookies are gone…

Directions: Take two chocolate chip cookies from the dessert table and put them on a plate. Bring them over to the frozen yogurt machine and pump your desired amount of ice cream onto one of the cookies. Resist the urge to add too much — it makes for a real mess (and who said you couldn’t have more than one?). Make sure there is ice cream poking out along the borders of the cookies. Then, take one of the smaller bowls and fill it with your desired toppings — sprinkles, butterfinger, heath, etc. are all amazing options. Roll the edges of the ice cream in the toppings until thoroughly covered, and devour!

Lily Roberts

Wake Forest

Born and raised on the North Shore of Massachusetts, Lily Roberts has been an avid writer and reader since elementary school. Over the years, she has become very interested in blogs, and wants to one day write her own. She is a true foodie, obsessed with cooking and eating, and is also into fashion. Her dream job has always been to be the editor in chief if a fashion or food magazine. As of now, she is a happy first-year at Wake Forest University, waiting to discover where college takes her.
Lauren Friezo

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for News and Content Uploader. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Entrepreneurship and Social Enterprise and Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies. Expected graduation in May 2015.