Fitness at the Forest: Why Running Is the Best Workout Out There

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Staying in shape was easy during high school with a wide variety of sports available to students of all skill levels, but what about now? There are hardly enough hours in the day to get all our work done. Often times, I am torn with what to do with my hour of free time. Do I work out or take a much-needed nap? The easy choice is napping, and while it might feel great at the time, you wake up feeling groggy and wanting more rest. Working out will be what makes you feel better for the rest of the day. You end up looking better, feeling more alert, and you have that great feeling of accomplishment.

One of the most common and effective forms of exercise is going out for a run. For those of you who have already caught the running bug, read no further—you get it. You understand how going out for a 3-5 mile run on a nice day can make everything better. For those of you who have not yet joined the running craze, it’s possible that you haven’t realized how great the experience can be. Here are some tips from someone who has been into running for seven years and counting.

Be realistic.

When you’re getting into running, don’t start out with unrealistic goals. Most of us aren’t able to run a half marathon after the first month of training. Start with the goal of completing a 5K race (3.2miles) without having to walk. It is best to register for the race well ahead of time, so you have something to train for, and a specific date to be ready.  You don’t have to set any speed records; you just need to complete it.
[pagebreak]

The buddy system.

Try running with a friend or two. I know some new runners are convinced that they cannot talk and run at the same time, but you’d be surprised how enjoyable it can be to catch up with a friend while out on the trails. Talking with someone, at least for me, is much better than listening to music on a long run, because each song is about 3 or 4 minutes long, so I know exactly how much time has passed at the end of each song. When you are talking to someone, the conversation can get so interesting that 10 or 15 minutes can pass by without you even realizing it. The less you check your watch, the more enjoyable the run will be.

Get out and about.

Get out on the streets and trails. Treadmills are good for two situations: when it is below zero degrees outside or when you are in a foreign city and have no one to run with. When you on campus or in your hometown, you are familiar with the surrounding areas. It’s a great time getting out on the streets, looking at houses, and exploring new trails (with a friend). At Wake, my favorite route is heading out to Graylyn through Reynolda Gardens, then crossing Coliseum to Oaklawn. That neighborhood near Stratford and Buena Vista is beautiful. It’s much better to get out onto streets and trails, rather than doing loops around campus, because you are less tempted to end the run early. You have to get back to campus somehow—why not keep running?
[pagebreak]

*Photography by Ellen Dicus and Jenny Dent

Jackie Swoyer is a rising senior at Wake Forest University majoring in Business and Enterprise Management, concentrating in Marketing and minoring in Economics. While her collegiate years have been spent in the Carolinas, this aspiring marketer currently calls Cincinnati, Ohio home...although she has spent years moving all over the country and beyond (including a five year period in Europe!). She is currently prepping for a summer internship in the Frito Lay Marketing Division in Plano, Texas, a new stop on her geographical repertoire. An avid reader of all things Her Campus, Jackie also loves to write, listen to Pandora, practice her cooking skills, and find live music anywhere she can.