Fashion in the Forest: How to Wear Socks with Heels

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

A subtle trend has started to creep into the fashion world – socks have become a killer accessory. Pairing a sock with a heel is no small feat, it definitely takes some fashion-forward courage. But if you can pull it off, you will crowned as a true fashionista.

Let’s start off with something a little more basic. Combat boots have recently become a staple for fall fashion. With a pair of knit or wool socks, you can change your whole look from street-sleek to urban chic. When using a knit pattern sock, I would stick to neutral and/or warm colors. But, if your boot is a darker wash of leather or you’re pairing with dark jeans, try going with a lighter color sock to balance the look. One of my favorite little touches is to scrunch the sock, it gives it a “yea I just sort-of threw this on” look even though you totally took time to plan it. 

Now let’s move on to the trickier stuff like high heels. This has a little more variation to it. If you have a sweet pair of patterned heels, like the pair shown above, I would wear a simple and clean white sock. The difficulty in that is to find the proper length, but my advice is to not go above mid-calf and to pair with a shorter skirt. 

If you’re going for a classy look, I would recommend some black heels, paired with a lace sock. This is a great way to look polished and put together; but it also adds a little spice into the mix. Don’t have lace socks? Don’t worry; a cotton sock could accomplish the same look, only it will be a little more business-casual. 

If you’re a wedge lover, you can still pair socks with your shoe. I would suggest using a sock material and thickness similar to the one you would pair with combat boots.  However, make sure you avoid looking bunchy. Don’t wear knee length socks to accomplish this look. 

Make the style statement your own, ladies. The length of the sock is a styling choice that is always up to you and also depends on whatever outfit you are wearing. And if you’re feeling that you want to take the risk and maybe wear some hot pink socks, go for it! It might work and it might not, but either way, you’ll certainly get some attention!

Cassie Brown

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for Campus Cutie. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Journalism and Communication. Expected graduation in May 2014.