An Exclusive Interview with Alex Pettyfer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Think Alex Pettyfer is dreamy on screen? You should see him up close and personal in an interview – which is exactly what I did this past Monday night! Okay, it may not have been a face-to-face interview; but still, only 20 lucky journalists from all over the country were able to spout off as many questions as we pleased for the handsome Pettyfer to answer.

Promoting their newest film, Endless Love, due out in theatres February 14th, Universal allowed schools with NBC Universal representatives (shout out to Maxine!) an exclusive opportunity to sit down via an online video chat network and get the dirty deets with the star of the film, Mr. Pettyfer. Most recently, the blonde-haired hunk was seen in Lee Daniels’ The Butler and I Am Number Four. Although, personally speaking, his most memorable role was a thong-clad stud-muffin opposite Matthew McConaughey and Channing Tatum in Magic Mike. A producer of the film, Todd Turner, voiced our questions while we all sat in awe as Pettyfer answered our highly anticipated questions about this romantic film.

As professional journalists, we began our discussion with questions relating to the film. What was it like shooting in Georgia? What was the dynamic on set like? How did you prepare for the role? He answered them all gracefully; and with an adorable English accent, might I add. We learned that the movie, filmed entirely in Georgia, completed shooting in a little less than four months. Preparation for the role was fairly easy, according to Pettyfer. He watched the original film, starring Brooke Shields and Martin Hewitt, and read the book both films are based off of by Scott Spencer. However, he told us that although he may have been involved in similar romantic movies in the past, he is generally attracted to any script that has substance and integrity in the subject matter. With a laugh he exclaimed that he is, in fact, a hopeless romantic, so maybe he’s just always going to be attracted to a sappy love story (I’m sorry, can we all just pause and awwww over this comment for a second??).

He told us about his preparation with his fellow actors, specifically with his gorgeous costar, Gabrielle Wilde (Carrie, The Three Musketeers). Just by viewing the short trailer, it’s clear there are some intimate scenes in the film between the two costars. Therefore, the preparation before the film was crucial in order to create chemistry between the two of them. Although, let’s be real, these two people are very attractive, I don’t think that creating chemistry would really be difficult. At the request of his director, Shana Feste, whom Pettyfer acknowledged as “amazing” and “talented,” the two costars spent a month in rehearsals and going on outings to get to know one another better. Finally, the more intimate questions began to be answered – this is where the good stuff happened!

First of all, I must comment on his adorable English charm. He noted the cultural differences he sees in Americans – apparently we’re not as “cool” as his English counterparts and are more welcoming on a day-to-day basis. (Although, I’m sure his 5’11 height, muscular bod, dark green eyes and blonde shaggy hair have something to do with this hospitable nature he often receives.) Not to mention, he refers to Georgia as a “city.” Being from Georgia myself, you’d think I’d be annoyed, but honestly he’s too adorable to care.

We began asking the private details such as, what was his most awkward scene to film? Without question he responded with, “Being thrust by Matthew McConaughey while wearing a thong!” He also touched on the vulnerability he felt in the love scene of Endless Love. He mentioned vulnerability quite a lot throughout the interview, although that’s no surprise being the hopeless romantic that he is. He said he wishes his fans to see the pure vulnerability of what being in love is like from this film. He hopes that they can relate to that feeling of  “life and being able to conquer the world.” After our serious talk about love and life, we jumped from what his must-have on set is (his iPod), to when he is happiest (on night shoots, “I’m a night owl”) and finally how he acts on set (a huge prankster! He likes to keep everyone laughing). 

With this intimate insight into the thoughts and feelings of Alex Pettyfer, I am even more excited to see this upcoming film. To be honest though, the boy does have his shirt off a good bit in the movie, so the incentive is pretty much already there. So ladies, I urge you to bring those Valentines to opening night on February 14th! Unfortunately for us single ladies, Alex is already taken! (By his mom though; so, like, can he be more adorable?)

Cassie Brown

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for Campus Cutie. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Journalism and Communication. Expected graduation in May 2014.