Easy, Healthy, and Affordable Meals for Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

It can be hard to fit in a meal when you’re rushing to your 9:00 A.M. lab or trying to get some energy between classes when you only have 15 minutes. Moreover, it can be incredibly difficult to cultivate a healthy diet within such a limited time! Lastly, budget?! Almost every college student can understand the struggle of finding meals within budget that keep them full.

Breakfast

1. English Muffins

English muffins are cheap, easy to find, and you can customize them to your heart’s desire. For instance, you can try using any spread: nut butter, butter, cream cheese, or honey. You can also take this on-the-go if you’re really in a hurry. 

2. Yogurt

This is a great on-the-go option while also being very nutritional and yummy. Find your favorite yogurt flavor or get a plain yogurt and add delicious ingredients such as fruit, dark chocolate shavings, or granola. Be sure to pick the yogurt carefully, as some are packed with excessive amounts of sugar and artificial flavorings. 

3. Trail Mix

Trail mix is not only for hiking! This is a great way to take your breakfast on-the-go in a plastic baggie. In addition, you can fill it with protein such as a variety of nuts. Add your favorite dry fruits, some dark chocolate, and you’re good to go. 

Lunch

1. Salad Wrap

If you’re looking for a healthy option but don’t have time to sit for the meal, consider making a salad wrap. Pick your favorite salad and simply turn it into wrap form! 

2. Pizza Roll-Ups

Again, this is convenient for those who don’t have time for a sit-down meal. If you’re craving pizza, fear no more: these pizza roll-ups are incredibly easy. Instead of using pizza dough, use tortillas and add your favorite pizza ingredients before rolling them up and cooking them in the oven until they are good to go. 

Dinner 

1. Summer Pasta Salad

This pasta dish can be tailored to your tastes and gives you full freedom to modify the ingredients. After you cook the pasta, it is your choice to make it hot or cold. In addition, you can add whatever ingredients you like. I recommend cherry tomatoes, spinach, parmesan, and salt and pepper. Mix well and serve! This recipe is super quick and a safe option for when you’re running low on time.

2. Dinner Omelette

Egg lovers: the dinner omelet. If you’re one of those people who could be happy eating eggs for every meal, this is for you. Simply make an omelet and adjust it to your dinner mood: try adding mushrooms, shrimp, broccoli, goat cheese, arugula, and beans. You can literally toss together your ingredients and have a delicious dinner meal within 15 minutes. 

Lydia Schapiro

Wake Forest '21

Hi! My name is Lydia Schapiro and I am a Senior at Wake Forest University majoring in Psychology and minoring in Spanish. I am from NYC and enjoy running, yoga, writing, and water sports. I like to write about fitness, movies & books, and mental health. My guilty pleasure is binge watching Sex and the City. My favorite artists are Cage the Elephant, Billy Joel, The Beatles, John Mayer, and Paul Simon.
Taylor Knupp

Wake Forest '21

Taylor is a senior from Harrisburg, PA studying Business and Enterprise Management. She is the outgoing Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus at WFU. Taylor plans to move to New York City after graduation to work as a Business Analyst at Verizon.