Diaries of a Bookworm—The Top 5 Reads for Summer 2022

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

In the depths of finals, it is sometimes hard to see any light at the end of the tunnel. But rest assured, summer is indeed near. While others may love to surf waves or float in a pool during these few months of break, each summer you’ll find me with my head in the clouds reading the newest romance novel or creepiest psychological thriller. So, whether you need a new book recommendation for your next flight to a tropical location or are searching for the perfect beach read while you tan, here are some great choices to pick up: 

1. Beach Read by Emily Henry (Romance): As the title suggests, this book is the perfect summer beach read. In a romance plot filled with banter, challenges, and happily-ever-afters, two polar opposites make their way together bound by their love for writing. If you enjoy this book, feel free to check out the other novel from this best-selling author, People We Meet on Vacation, or her anticipated release Book Lovers on May 3, 2022. 
  2. The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides (Psychological Thriller): If it is any indication of how good this book is, it is one of the only ones that has ever earned a 5 out of 5-star rating on my Goodreads. A deeply unsettling tale of murder, love, and revenge, this story has you questioning everything you thought you knew. Michaelides saves the resolution until the reader is desperate for it at the very end, leaving your jaw wide open in shock for hours after. 
  3. Verity by Colleen Hoover (Psychological Thriller): As your trusted bookworm offering my most prized recommendations, it is only fair that I put my favorite book on the list. While the book world is currently entranced by one of Hoover’s many other revolutionary novels, It Ends with Us, her novel Verity is the one that gets my gold star. This book is creepy, disturbing, and unrelenting—in all the best ways. I read this in one sitting and couldn’t sleep well the night after, which is a sign of a truly excellent psychological thriller. This recommendation comes with a warning, however—it is only for the readers who dare. 
  4. One Italian Summer by Rebecca Serle (Romance): While I haven’t had the privilege of reading this novel yet, it is all over my FYP on TikTok (yes, I’ll admit, I may be on #booktok). A powerful novel about the bonds between a mother and daughter, the protagonist’s trip to Italy is full of magic, beautiful sights, and transformational experiences. I can’t wait to get my hands on this one this summer and you should too!
  5. We Were Liars by E. Lockhart (Mystery): I saved the best summer read for last. This YA novel focuses on themes of the consequences of one’s mistakes, the construction of reality, and family affairs. Taking place on a private island during consecutive summers, this unexpected story of the Sinclair family is bound to leave you wanting more. 

These reads are sure to fulfill your summer reading requirements or just make for a fun summer day of escapism and relaxation. Happy reading! 

Emily Hellwig

Wake Forest '23

My name is Emily Hellwig and I am a junior from Lexington, Virginia. I am Politics and International Affairs major with minors in Communication and Spanish, pursuing a career in Public Relations. I am a redhead with a soul, avid feminist, and lover of Pepsi, the deacs, dancing, and podcasts (in that order).