Chic for Cheap: Cute Coats for Sorority Recruitment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

It was the first day of Formal Recruitment 2015 when, in a rebellion against the freezing January air, I ran from my last “party” to my warm South Hall room. As I trudged across the pavement, my iPhone slipped from my pants pocket and shattered. There was no time during the busy days of rush week to replace my phone, so I used it through a plastic bag to avoid cutting my fingers on the glass shards.

Maybe, if I had a coat that was Recruitment-worthy in looks, I would not have had to sprint home. It was January, but I didn’t want to ruin “the perfect sorority look” I had worked so hard to put together with my warm Patagonia. I’m just saying – take proper precautions, collegiettes, and invest in those coats. In loving memory of my old iPhone, this week’s Chic for Cheap is a coat edition.

*FYI: As I learned, you can totally bring a coat to parties and leave it in the hallway outside, but still, it’s fun to have a cute coat for any occasion.

On to the fun:

LUPITA NYONG’O, actress

Match:

LC Lauren Conrad Runway Collection Faux-Fur Collar Peacoat for $60 at Khol’s

Lily James, actress

Match:

Longline Car Coat for $59.90 at Forever 21

HRH Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge 

Match:

Stylish Stand Collar Plaid Lace-Up Long Sleeve Women’s Coat for $49.73 from RoseGal

Taylor Swift, singer/songwriter

Match:

Stylish Turn-Down Neck Long Sleeve Double-Breasted Pocket Design Women’s Coat for $29.34 from RoseGal

No single style of coat works with every body type, so try on a bunch and see what your best look is. These women provide a variety of colors, patterns, and shapes of the garment, but there are many more options out there, collegiettes. Stay warm and remember, it’s not what you wear but how you wear it!

Isabelle Vail

Wake Forest

https://www.hercampus.com/school/wake-forest