Cash Saving Tips for Spring Break 2k15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Congrats collegiettes, we’ve almost made it to spring break! Now that we’re all ready to relax for a week, let’s talk money. It can be pretty expensive to get cute new swimsuits, pay for housing, food, and alcohol for a week. Never fear though, we have some advice about how to do spring break on a budget!

Alcohol

• If you’re going on a cruise, consider doing a well-known trick. Take a bottle of mouthwash and rinse it out, then pour your alcohol in there. Just don’t forget to add food coloring! LOL
  • Another way to save money is to pregame before going out. Buying your alcohol from the ABC store is going to be quite a bit less expensive than at a bar during the spring break season!
  • Offer to be designated driver one night. Your friends will love you, and this is an easy way to save without having to tell everyone that you don’t want to spend any more money.
  • If you’re going to buy handles, or bottles of wine, go ahead and buy them in Winston. This goes for beer and wine coolers as well. Prices are going to be higher in prime vacation spots because the sellers know that college students are coming. This works especially well if you’re driving and don’t have to worry about weight limits for bags. Just make sure that all bottles are out of sight, tucked in your bags, and cushioned with clothing.

Food

The best tips to save money on food are similar to alcohol. Cook at your condo or house before heading out for the night! Again, like the alcohol, food will be more expensive in vacation destinations. If you’re a planner, get all of your dry goods before leaving – bread, snack foods, mixers, and pasta sauce. You’ll have to wait to buy your milk, eggs, and veggies, but every little bit helps! If you plan on spending spring break on an island that connects to the mainland by a long bridge, consider getting the cold groceries before you start across the bridge. This will be more expensive than in Winston, but still cheaper than on your island!

Plan, plan, plan!

If you pack everything you need, you won’t have to run to the store to buy little items. Make sure you take sunscreen, a beach towel, aloe vera, pain relievers, and sunglasses! Don’t forget your swimsuit, maybe a baseball cap, and a hairdryer. Take a reusable water bottle with you – you want to stay hydrated!

Lauren Friezo

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for News and Content Uploader. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Entrepreneurship and Social Enterprise and Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies. Expected graduation in May 2015.