Brooks Godwin (’12)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Name: Brooks Godwin (’12)

Hometown: Winston-Salem, NC

Major: Psychology

Career Goals: Definitely something with sports—probably coaching college basketball (He’s co-captain of the basketball team!)

Relationship Status: Single

Nickname(s): I don’t really have any. The only one I can think of is Brooksy.

Her Campus (HC): How long have you been playing basketball?
Brooks Godwin (BG): Since I was about 3 or 4 years old.

HC: What’s the most memorable game you have ever played?
BG: The Duke game freshman year when they were ranked #2 and we were ranked #4. James Johnson made the last-second layup to win the game.

[pagebreak]

HC: Do you have any pre-game rituals?
BG: Yes, I take two pieces of green apple gum.  I chew one before I stretch and put the other one in my sock for later.

HC: Do you actually eat the one in your sock?
BG: Yeah … well, it’s still in the wrapper!

HC: What’ss your post-win celebration?
BG: There are usually parties going on that night, so I’ll go to those or sometimes my roommates and I will have people over to our apartment.

HC: What does your typical day look like?
BG: I wake up and go to the Pit for breakfast. Then I have class from 9-2, and I usually go to the Pit or Mag Room for lunch. From 2-3, I lift weights and then go to the gym for scout team, and we have practice after that until 6. After that, I shower and go to the Pit for dinner and then finally get to my homework.

HC: Wow, you must really love the Pit!
BG: Haha yeah I think I’m the only senior that actually eats there on a regular basis.

HC: What is your favorite food at the Pit?
BG: Definitely fried chicken, but they haven’t been serving it lately.

[pagebreak]

HC: What is “scout team?”
BG: It’s when all the walk-ons get together and learn the players and plays of the opposing team, and then we wear their jerseys and play with the other Wake players so that they know what to expect at the game.

HC: Do the other Wake players ever do this for y’all?
BG: No, they’re the ones that play most of the time so it works out fine.  But when I get in the game, I actually have an advantage because I know the opposing team’s players a lot better since I’ve studied them.

HC: Are there any professional athletes that you look up to?
BG: Bernie Williams. He was a center fielder for the Yankees. And Tim Duncan. I’ve been a huge Wake fan since I was little, and I grew up watching him play. I actually have a picture with him from when I was 4 or 5, and I came up to his knee.

HC: Have you met him since you were little?
BG: Yeah, Timmy D and Chris Paul come back a lot so the team gets to hang out with them sometimes.

HC: What is the most embarrassing thing you have ever done?
BG: I was in 1st grade, I was climbing a fence during recess to get a ball or something, and right when I was at the top of the fence my shorts ripped right down the middle.

HC: Oh no! Did anyone see you?
BG: Yeah, my entire class was there and saw the whole thing …

[pagebreak]

HC: If you could be any animal, what would you be and why?
BG: I would probably be a hawk because I want to be able to fly. I’d want my name to be ‘Rockie’ … like ‘Rockie the Hawk.’ That sounds cool.

HC: What is your go-to pickup line?
BG: I just stick with the usual ones like “Can I buy you a drink?” or “What’s your major?”

HC: Does that second one really work?
BG: Oh yeah, works every time!

HC: Well then, what’s your major?
BG: (Laughs.)

HC: What is your ideal first date?
BG: Dinner somewhere like the Olive Garden, but nothing too nice, just somewhere you can talk and get to know each other.

HC: Boxers or briefs?
BG: Are boxer-briefs an option? Those are definitely the best way to go. 

*Photography by Karleigh Ash

Jackie Swoyer is a rising senior at Wake Forest University majoring in Business and Enterprise Management, concentrating in Marketing and minoring in Economics. While her collegiate years have been spent in the Carolinas, this aspiring marketer currently calls Cincinnati, Ohio home...although she has spent years moving all over the country and beyond (including a five year period in Europe!). She is currently prepping for a summer internship in the Frito Lay Marketing Division in Plano, Texas, a new stop on her geographical repertoire. An avid reader of all things Her Campus, Jackie also loves to write, listen to Pandora, practice her cooking skills, and find live music anywhere she can.