Breast Cancer Awareness Month: Show Your Support

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

It’s October, and campus is buzzing! Leaves are changing, pumpkins are being carved, and everyone has a Pumpkin Spice Latte in-hand. Sure, these are the things we look forward to as summer fades away, but where do pink ribbons fit in with all of the fall fun? You guessed it! October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and students at Wake are just as eager to combat cancer this month as they are to break out the fall fashion. Leave it to our Panhellenic Council to combine the two and promote awareness!

Breast cancer occurs when cells in the breast divide and grow out of control. Tumors grow slowly, hence why the cancer is often advanced when lumps and nodules are discovered. This year, it is estimated that 39,620 men and women will die from breast cancer (yes, although it is rare, men can develop breast cancer, too). Therefore, it is important women begin learning to check their breasts for discoloration or bumps early, as well as going to the doctor for mammograms. It is never too early to be taking preventative measures!

Chances are, each one of you reading this article knows at least one person that has been affected by Breast Cancer in their lifetime, whether they, themselves, have fought it, or they know a loved one who has. My aunt, at the age of forty-seven, passed away after fighting an eight–year battle with Breast Cancer. My grandmother, on the other hand, was diagnosed at the age of forty-seven, and passed away at the age of sixty-eight. These women are very special to me, and i know that breast cancer not only comes in many forms and lengths, but it can also be hereditary.

*Image from The Old Gold & Black

So do you want to show your support? Now is the time! Attend the Panhellenic Council’s 17th annual Breast Cancer Fashion Show this Monday, October 28th in Benson 401! Doors will be open at 6:45 p.m., and the show begins at 7:00 p.m. Tickets are $10, and t-shirts are $5. There will be a silent auction and live entertainment. Profits go to Susan G. Komen for the Cure, so come out and support this great cause!

Each sorority will have a model that will sport several different outfits, including tailgating and evening attire. Several different Winston-Salem boutiques are sponsoring the event and providing the clothing, including Monkee’s and Bevello. It will be a great time to support the fight against breast cancer and find your next date function dress! So keep the Her Campus pink tradition alive, collegiettes, and head out to the Breast Cancer Fashion Show tomorrow!

Cassie Brown

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for Campus Cutie. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Journalism and Communication. Expected graduation in May 2014.