Breaking Out of the “Bubble”: The W-S Battle of the Coffee Shops

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

It’s easy to get stuck in the “bubble” that is Wake Forest University. Let’s face it, this campus has all of your daily essentials, and everything is within a short walking distance. So, why venture off campus? Is there even a world outside of Wake Forest? Yes, my dear friends, there most certainly is. This new segment, entitled “Breaking Out of the Bubble”, will be a series of articles exploring what exists outside of the brick walls of WFU. Winston-Salem may not be as outwardly glitzy and glam as some other cities, but it has plenty to offer to keep you entertained on a daily basis. It even has a certain “diamond-in-the-rough” quality about it, if you will. Who knows, maybe you’ll be encouraged to make the trek to one of these mentioned destinations? Dare to dream.

This week’s focus is Winston-Salem’s assortment of coffee shops, in comparison to the on-campus Starbucks.

We all know and love the Wake Forest Starbucks. Conveniently located in the ZSR, it is a godsend on those nights when you so tragically let that 12-page paper “slip your mind” until the last possible second. As an added bonus, there is always some variation of music playing, be it in the indie-folk genre, or a more mainstream vibe. Filled with an assortment of tables and chairs, Starbucks is an ideal place to study. Need to catch up with a friend? The ‘Bucks is a social hotspot. It is always buzzing with conversation and you are almost 100% guaranteed to see someone you know every time you walk through. The biggest pull of Starbucks, though? It’s convenient! After all, it is right there, and fulfills multiple necessities for students.

Some people find Starbucks to be perfect, and all that they need in a coffee shop, but what about when you want a change of pace? Maybe you’re craving a different brand of coffee, or just a change of scenery. Feeling ambitious? Switch up the routine and try Krankies or Camino Bakery, two popular coffee shops located in downtown Winston-Salem.
[pagebreak]
Krankies

Krankies is a café, bar, and entertainment venue located on 3rd Street downtown. They brew coffee from all over the world, and have a small selection of hand-crafted beers and wines available as well. Involved in the community, they partner with local food collaborators to provide baked goods and a variety of regional snacks in the store. Located in a vintage gas-fired drum roaster, the physical setting of Krankies could not be more different from Starbucks. The music is mellow and the lighting is soft, fostering a prime, focused environment for studying.

Junior Carly Brown says she likes going to Krankies for the coffee and atmosphere. “Krankies coffee is super delicious. The people-watching is significantly more exciting than Starbucks. There are lots of hipster and not so many frat stars.”

Beyond serving as a place to grab a cup of coffee, or get some studying in, Krankies is also a venue for live music and art exhibitions. The establishment frequently showcases all types of entertainment, from local talent shows to national touring acts. Feeling artsy? You may just get your next wave of inspiration (academic or artistic) at Krankies.
[pagebreak]
Camino Bakery

Looking for a place with less intensive focus on the arts, and more emphasis on the cuisine? Head down to 4th Street, and hit up Camino Bakery.

Camino Bakery is a great place to catch up with friends or to indulge in a delicious, eclectic menu. Besides the medley of drinks, the food ranges from baked goods to granola, to quiches and even fresh fruit (take that, Pit!)
Taylor Adams, a junior, finds that Camino Bakery is the perfect place for whatever it is you might need to do, be it study, people watch, or hang out with friends. “Camino Bakery has a great vibe if you’re trying to get some work done with a coffee or to catch up with a friend over a glass of wine. The lighting and music are mellow. There’s a great view of 4th Street, if you are just trying to get some good people watching in. If you’re looking for a change of pace, try Camino Bakery.

So, the next time you are in Starbucks sipping on your double –tall skinny cinnamon dolce latte with no foam, and you spot that one person you have been trying to avoid all day, consider switching it up! A little variety never hurts. Maybe you’ll find a new perfect place to study and socialize, or you might simply come to appreciate the convenient on-campus Starbucks that much more. The point? At least you broke out of the bubble!  

I am a junior at Wake Forest University and write for the "News" section of WFU hercampus branch.