Best Celebrity Role Models

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Moms these days seem to be clamoring for positive role models for their daughters. With so many female celebrities taking what I like to call the “Disney Darling Disaster” route (ie: the rise and fall of young stars like Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan and Miley Cyrus), there is a lack of focus on the “good girls.” There are a handful of female stars out there whose traits are admirable, even inspirational, for girls of any age. Here’s my list, in no particular order, of the best role models for you and your little sister.

Lea Michele
As a disclaimer, I have to admit, I am a huge Glee fan. Whether you’re a fan of the show or not, it’s hard to deny Lea Michele’s talent: not only can she act, but she sings a ballad like no other. She has starred on Broadway in Les Miserables and Spring Awakening. Now she stars on one of the biggest shows on TV, Glee. In her spare time, Lea is an active spokeswoman for PETA, and loves baking and cooking vegan recipes. She made TIME magazine’s 2010 list of the “100 Most Influential People in the World.” She admits to being insecure about her nose – Glee producer Ryan Murphy decided to devote an entire episode to her character’s decision whether or not to get a nose job. Lea Michele is proof that embracing your so-called flaws can define you as a person and make you stronger.
Her role models: Barbra Streisand, Idina Menzel
Inspirational quote: “I would tell 17-year-olds to be proud of who you are. Don’t try to change yourself for others. Focus on school and your future. Boys and friends will come and go, just focus on you and your future.”

Taylor Swift
Young, energetic, and pretty much on top of the world. At just 22, T. Swift exudes defiance and girly spirit with her “you-broke-my-heart-now-watch-me-become-a-millionaire-with-a-song-about-you” music. She’s willing to love, lose, and learn from the past, and then turn her experiences into multi-platinum albums. She performs sold-out national tours but manages to stay humble and true to her southern roots. She recently won 3 American Music Awards for Favorite Country Album for “Speak Now,” Favorite Country Female Artist, and Entertainer of the Year (for the second time).  Her songs are so relatable and send positive messages to any girl whose been wronged. 
Fun Fact: Taylor learned to play guitar when she was twelve “from this guy named Ronnie who came over to fix my parents’ computer.” She can also play banjo, ukulele, and piano.
Inspirational quote: “I like the idea that what I know now is nothing in comparison to what I’m going to know in the future. I’m going to think I’m right and am wrong, and you learn from that.”

[pagebreak]

Kate Middleton
Every little girl wants to be a princess, so it’s no surprise we’re obsessed with the Duchess of Cambridge. Royal insiders have called her “a natural” as Prince William’s wife. Her sophisticated sense of style has been the talk of the tabloids since the royal engagement, and she remains poised amidst the swarming paparazzi. A “commoner” turned royal, Kate Middleton proves to girls everywhere that dreams do come true—and that it’s okay to wear an outfit more than once!
Fun Fact: Before becoming a princess, Kate Middleton, worked as an accessories buyer for British fashion chain, Jigsaw.
Inspirational Quote: [on dating Prince William] “He’s lucky to be going out with me.”

Tina Fey
Tina Fey knows what it’s like to play with the big boys.  As a writer, producer, actress and comedienne in a primarily male-dominated business, Tina Fey is not shy about taking control. A self-described “super-nerd,” this University of Virginia grad is also a Second City alumna, a critically acclaimed Chicago-based improv troupe. After a few years working at Saturday Night Live, Tina made history by becoming the first female head writer in the show’s history. Whether she’s making you laugh with her Sarah Palin impressions or as Liz Lemon on 30 Rock, Fey is easily the funniest woman on TV. In 2008, the Associated Press named her the performer with the greatest impact on culture and entertainment. In her new book, Bossypants, she describes the balancing act of being a working mom in the entertainment industry. Tina Fey is living proof that nerds rock, girls can be funny, and nerdy-girls can run the world.
Role Model: Mary Tyler Moore
Fun Fact: In her first session as a member of the Saturday Night Live writing staff, the 5’4″ Tina discovered that she was a foot shorter than her male co-workers, and felt for a while as if she’d shrunk.

Jackie Swoyer is a rising senior at Wake Forest University majoring in Business and Enterprise Management, concentrating in Marketing and minoring in Economics. While her collegiate years have been spent in the Carolinas, this aspiring marketer currently calls Cincinnati, Ohio home...although she has spent years moving all over the country and beyond (including a five year period in Europe!). She is currently prepping for a summer internship in the Frito Lay Marketing Division in Plano, Texas, a new stop on her geographical repertoire. An avid reader of all things Her Campus, Jackie also loves to write, listen to Pandora, practice her cooking skills, and find live music anywhere she can.