Be Healthy and Fit at the Forest: Quick and Healthy Pick-Me-Ups to Survive Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Don’t get me wrong, studying is very important. But camping out in the 24-hour room of the library for three days straight and relying on midnight pizza delivery and Starbucks will only leave you bleary-eyed, overworked and miserable. You can’t get much beauty sleep in the Red Room.

We learn at a young age that eating healthy, natural, fresh foods will give us energy, refuel our brains and our bodies and improve academic performance. This is especially important at college, though we often get caught up in the “Work Forest” mantra and opt for convenient, processed meals during intense study periods.

Not good, collegiettes™. Not good.

So here’s my challenge: Take 15-minute study breaks at meal times to get real food. This doesn’t mean you have to make something for scratch, or that you have to spend all your money at Whole Foods to stock up on healthy meal options. Look around you. There are plenty of nutritious options right on campus. 

• Breakfast – For those early morning study sessions in the library, make sure you start the day with breakfast, even if it is just a granola bar and a piece of fruit. If you find yourself in line at Starbucks, go for a lower calorie coffee drink, such as a regular coffee or latte with nonfat or soy milk, and one of their healthier food items (oatmeal topped with brown sugar, mixed nuts or dried fruit; yogurt parfait or fruit cup; or one of the low-fat coffee cakes or muffins).
  • Lunch – Leave the library and hit the Pit for a healthy, energizing lunch. Make sure your meal is well-balanced with 25% lean protein, 25% whole grains, and 50% fruits and vegetables. Order a turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread with lots of veggies and mustard to add some spice. Add baby carrots and/or grapes on the side for a healthy, well-balanced lunch. Other good choices include an omelet with veggies and low-fat cheese, a salad with beans or grilled chicken and a veggie burger on a wheat bun. Get creative!
  • Dinner – Make dinner your longest study break. Leave your books in the library, shut down your laptop and put away your notes. Have your friends meet you for dinner and talk about ANYTHING but school work. Just relax already. Fix yourself a well-balanced plate of protein, whole grains and fruits and vegetables (just like lunch), and treat yourself to a cookie, a cup of fro-yo or a bowl of cereal to cure that nagging sweet tooth.
  • Snack – The midnight pizza in the library will not help you stay awake. Fatty, greasy pizza is the last thing your body needs late at night. Instead, prepare for those late-night cravings by having healthy snacks on hand: mixed nuts, a piece of fruit, some pieces of dark chocolate, popcorn, tortilla chips and salsa, low-fat yogurt (Greek is best), dried fruit, peanut butter crackers and pretzels are all great options. The Sundry is a great go-to for late-night cravings (just be sure to go before it closes at midnight!). 

I know you’re busy. I know you’re stressed. I know you need to study. But skipping meals and surviving on granola bars and diet soda are not going to help you. Make time to eat. And eat right. It will pay off. 

Kelsey Garvey is a junior English major at Wake Forest University. Her upbringing in Connecticut, otherwise known as country club land, inspired her to write in order to escape and locate something more. Writing has also acted as her outlet to dabble in subjects far beyond her my intellectual capacity: art, culture, design, fashion, photography, and music. Other than reading Vogue and Vanity Fair cover-to-cover, Kelsey enjoys frequenting the blogosphere, speaking franglais in daily conversation, and laughing at her own pathetic jokes. Feel free to email her with any questions or comments.