Be Healthy and Fit at the Forest: Burn Calories Without Trying!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Much love from posties! Even though I’m watching all of my friends suit up in bikinis, lather on the sunscreen, and head out to the beach, I want to take the time to write my last blog of the year!

So, in honor of summertime . . .

The sun is shining, the bugs are buzzing, and it is officially summer vacation! Who wants to spend the next three months in the gym, sweating, and lifting weights – just so we’ll look good in our bathing suits a couple of times a week? Not worth it. Granted, I’ll be spending a fair amount of time at my hometown fitness center because it is that much better than the one at Wake – with far more equipment, air conditioning, and free towels – but I’m going to need more options for staying in shape.

Lucky for us, collegiettes™, summer food is decidedly lighter than cold-weather comfort food, so we don’t have to worry nearly as much about watching what we stuff our face with. But that won’t take care of that bikini body all by itself. Here are a few summery activities that will help mindlessly shed those extra calories to keep you in beach-bunny shape! 

1. Walk on the beach: I did last night, and I burned about 300 calories in an hour. It doesn’t get any better than that!
  2. Gardening: make your yard AND your butt look better! Kill 344 calories in an hour!
  3. Cooking: Take advantage of all those fresh, seasonal summer fruits and veggies — peaches are my favorite — and whip up lots of yummy recipes for your friends and family! 168 calories gone in just 60 minutes : )
  4. Shopping: What better way to celebrate your hot beach bod than with a new two-piece? And while you’re at it, you’ll burn 150 calories. Win, win for everyone! 

Okay collegiettes™, mull that over while I go join my friends on the beach! Have a WONDERFUL summer!

*Photography by Sam Hoback

Kelsey Garvey is a junior English major at Wake Forest University. Her upbringing in Connecticut, otherwise known as country club land, inspired her to write in order to escape and locate something more. Writing has also acted as her outlet to dabble in subjects far beyond her my intellectual capacity: art, culture, design, fashion, photography, and music. Other than reading Vogue and Vanity Fair cover-to-cover, Kelsey enjoys frequenting the blogosphere, speaking franglais in daily conversation, and laughing at her own pathetic jokes. Feel free to email her with any questions or comments.