Be Healthy and Fit at the Forest: 5 Simple Ways to Get Fit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Right now, your brain is swirling with chemistry formulas, Shakespeare, and World War I dates, but in less than a week, all that will all be over, and you’ll have time to concentrate on more important things: like what to do with all that extra time this summer!

This pretty much sums it up: “What good is sitting alone in your room? Come here the music play! Life is a cabaret! Come to the cabaret!”

Well, not exactly a cabaret, but you get the idea. Get off your butt, turn off the computer, and get outside!

I don’t just mean slathering on some sunscreen, grabbing a beach towel and your iPod, and laying out by the pool. There are so many more options to make your summer fun (and get you all fit for bikini season)!

Here are my top picks:

Swimming
You’re old enough for the adult swim now, so you can’t use the excuse that there are too many little kids splashing anymore. Don’t kid yourself, you’ve said it before. Take advantage of that 10-15 minute break from kiddie-pool-chaos and swim a few laps. It’ll cool you off and keep you looking hot.

Take a walk
Sound simple? It is! I recommend walking in the morning or in the evening when it isn’t quite so hot outside. A little exercise after breakfast or dinner will help your digestion and increase your metabolism. And,  what else do you have to do? Sit in front of the TV? As if.

Go on a bike ride
So not everyone has a bike, but I’m sure you’ve got friends or neighbors who aren’t using theirs that they’d be willing to loan to you. We know we like to go the gym, but spending an hour inside to work out when you could be outside in the sunshine just seems sort of depressing. Biking is a great total-body workout! Make it a family event, or grab a group of friends and see how far you can go!

Outdoor Sports
I admit, I’m not what you’d call ‘outdoorsy’, but I absolutely love a certain few outdoor sports. My favorites include rock climbing (on real rocks, not the fake Styrofoam wall), white-water rafting (don’t knock it ‘til you try it!), hiking (with a picnic at the top as a little incentive to actually get you to the top), and pick-up sports like football, soccer, and beach volleyball (I’m not good, but it’s fun).

Yoga
I’m pretty sure yoga wasn’t developed to be practiced in indoor fitness center studios with mirrors and fake nature music. Be one with nature, and find your inner peace where it all started! You don’t have to go to a public park or anything—your backyard works just fine.

*Photography credit: Sam Hoback

Kelsey Garvey is a junior English major at Wake Forest University. Her upbringing in Connecticut, otherwise known as country club land, inspired her to write in order to escape and locate something more. Writing has also acted as her outlet to dabble in subjects far beyond her my intellectual capacity: art, culture, design, fashion, photography, and music. Other than reading Vogue and Vanity Fair cover-to-cover, Kelsey enjoys frequenting the blogosphere, speaking franglais in daily conversation, and laughing at her own pathetic jokes. Feel free to email her with any questions or comments.