This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

On a recent trip with my friends to the mountains, we came to the realization that curating the perfect music queue was a pretty easy task for us since we all love “music made for the girlys” as some might say. This is not to say that the following artists are meant only for women; the brilliance and production value of their music certainly transcends gender. However, there really is something special about listening to a song that you and your girlfriends can scream or cry to with unrivaled feminine passion. So, here are four artists to listen to if you want to introduce some feminine energy into your 2024. 

1. Reneé Rapp

I have been a diehard Reneé Rapp stan since she won the national high school theater award, also known as the Jimmy Award, for “best actress” in 2018. She is having a monster of a year already, starring in the “Mean Girls” remake as queen bee Regina George. Rapp’s solo music, though, is an absolute marvel on its own. “Too Well” off her EP “Everything to Everyone” was my third most listened to song of 2023, and she only expanded on this brilliance with the release of her debut album Snow Angel. The title track of the album details an intense and emotionally vulnerable experience Rapp had with addiction and subsequent relationships. The power and soul she displays on this song is simply heartwrenching. The album also contains more lighthearted pop gems like “Poison Poison” and “Pretty Girls”, both of which are staples on my playlist.

1. Chappell Roan

“You know what they say, never waste a Friday night on a first date,” listen to Chappell Roan instead. Roan’s debut album, Rise and Fall of a Midwest Princess, is full of bop upon bop. Besides the album’s hyper-pop cool production, the songs feature honest and lusty lyrics that really stand out among the current pop landscape. In addition to her talented songwriting, Roan has a powerful and unique voice that showcases itself on nearly every song. Roan’s music shows all sides of herself, and each song feels like its own mini movie or story. For instance, “Casual” is heartbreaking and cynical, while “Red Wine Supernova” is fun-loving and simply hot. Roan will be opening for select shows of Olivia Rodrigo’s upcoming tour for her album GUTS, so if you are among the lucky fans who snagged tickets to Rodrigo, make sure to get there early. To once again reference Roan’s lyrics, her music truly speaks to the “femininomenon” of being a woman.

1. Maisie Peters

Maisie Peters’ song “You Signed Up For This” was truly the soundtrack of my junior and senior years of high school, as the track catapults the listener to the center of their own coming of age movie. Peters’ music is so interesting, because her catalog features feel-good, diary-esque songs like “Cate’s Brother,” angry anthems like “Blonde” and “Not Another Rockstar,” and more emotional tracks like “Wendy.” Her storytelling ability across all songs is so special and genuine, and also a bit unhinged, which she proves in songs like “Lost the Breakup” and “Psycho.” I have such a love for her music, and I promise it is for sure something to put on if you want to have a dance party that leaves you feeling good about yourself. 

1. Lizzy McAlpine

Lizzy McAlpine has a bit of a softer, more folky sound that is a divergence from the other artists on this list, but it would feel wrong to not shout out the way she can earnestly capture strange emotions. As I’m sure many other women do, I can certainly get in my own head. McAlpine helps listeners understand what it is like to go down mental spirals of overthinking, while also coming to some points of clarity about life. Perhaps the most striking song off of her 2022 album five seconds flat is “doomsday,” where McAlpine details feeling the end of a relationship coming, but knowing she has no control. In contrast to the ominous, dark sound of “doomsday,” I love the more cheery-sounding “orange show speedway,” which hides its own message of lost love underneath. Overall, McAlpine delivers on expressing confusing emotions in a way that speaks meaningfully to me. If you are also a chronic over-thinker, put on some headphones and overthink about the brilliance of McAlpine’s music.

Kenley McClure

Wake Forest '27

Hi! My name is Kenley McClure and I am a freshman at Wake Forest University. I am from Charlotte, North Carolina also known as the Queen City. Most of the time, you can find me making or buying coffee, expanding my earring collection, dancing, or taking pictures with a disposable camera!